Easiest Way to Prepare Appetizing G. Grandmas Potato Soup
G. Grandmas Potato Soup. An old fashioned, simple, chunky potato soup like Grandma made, with russet potatoes, onion and celery, butter, evaporated milk, a little flour, and seasoned Back before there were things like Cheesy Potato Soup with Bacon and Loaded Baked Potato Soup, there was Grandma's Potato Soup. Grandma's Potato Soup recipe: This has been a family favorite for four generations. Simple to make and so delicious, it's great to come home to a bowl full.
Get the old fashioned recipe with evaporated milk and a special ingredient for the best flavor. Peel and dice potatoes, set aside in a bowl of cold water. This was my favorite soup my grandma ever made for me. You can have G. Grandmas Potato Soup using 8 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of G. Grandmas Potato Soup
- You need 6 of medium russet potatoes.
- It’s 1 of big yellow onion.
- Prepare 1 of Ham Steak.
- Prepare 2-3 of eggs (optional).
- Prepare of Milk.
- You need of Lots of salt.
- You need of Pepper.
- You need of Lots of flour.
My cousins and I would crave this and beg our grandma to make it for us! Now that I am Add just enough water to cover your potatoes in your pot, add salt. Add the milk, the butter, and the flour to the water. Potato Soup Recipe – My Grandmother Verdie's Potato Soup recipe makes an old-fashioned, easy, comforting soup recipe.
G. Grandmas Potato Soup step by step
- Here we go. Read the WHOLE recipe and gather your ingredients..
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2” cubes.
- Put in big pot and just cover with water. Cook until partially tender..
- While potatoes are cooking Chop onions and ham steak. And sauté in separate pan until onions are translucent. Set aside..
- When potatoes are semi-done add milk. You add 1/2 as much milk as there is water. It loooooooks like a lot. And it is..
- Add salt and pepper. Lots. Really. You will probably need to add more later too..
- Add cooked onions and ham. Bring to low boil..
- While waiting for it to boil make rivlets aka dumplings. The soup is not the same without them so don’t skip this step..
- Make rivlets by whisking 2 eggs together and then adding flour. So start with 100 grams and then keeping adding flour until the mixture comes together. It’s not too wet or too dry. I know those are awful directions but that’s what we do. As a rule it’s 100 grams of flour per egg but use your best judgement. I don’t really think you can screw them up..
- Once the soup is boiling add rivlets by using the two teaspoon method. Put some dough on a teaspoon and slide it off into the soup with the other teaspoon. Not too big. They should be about the size of a big marble..
- Cook for about ten minutes until the rivlets are cooked through. The soup should start getting thicker now because the rivlets start absorbing the broth..
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. It should have a bit of peppery flavor..
- If you want the soup thicker then thicken with a flour slurry..
- We add cheese and scallions on the top of the bowl when eating..
- Good luck and tell me how it goes. Remember be happy while your cooking and it’ll make your food taste better..
My Great Grandma Montange, Grandma Sargisson and my mom's recipe as well. This is the perfect potato soup recipe. Potato soup is definitely on the menu for this weekend, though… it's so frigid outside I've convinced myself that I need soup, specifically creamy potato Tips for Perfect Creamy Potato Soup. Learn how to make potato soup with the BEST Potato Soup recipe! It's quick and easy to make, nice and creamy (with zero heavy cream), and always so delicious.