Recipe: Perfect Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. Freeze Option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. In a slow cooker combine split peas, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, ginger, and red pepper flakes..
Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is rich, warm, nourishing and incredibly flavorful. I'm pretty sure there is no way to make this soup look appetizing; in fact it was the color that turned me off to split pea soup for years. You can have Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- You need of Soup mix.
- Prepare 16 oz of Dried green split peas..
- You need 2 of Ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham.
- You need 3 of Carrots, peeled and sliced..
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Onion. Chopped.
- It’s 2 of Ribs of celery plus leaves. Chopped..
- It’s 2 clove of Garlic. Minced..
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 tsp dried parsley flakes.
- You need 1 tbsp of Seasoned salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Black pepper.
- It’s 6 cup of Hot water.
- You need of Optional but delicious.
- It’s 1 cup of Andouille Sausage cut into 1/4" rounds.
But don't let the picture fool you! The nutritional information for this delicious slow cooker split pea and ham soup is right below. If you have any extras with the soup, then don't forget to add these to your overall nutrition calculations. It's important to keep in mind that I use an online calculator for all my slow cooker recipe's nutritional information.
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup step by step
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients..
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone..
- Remove bones and bay leaf. Chop meat into bite sized pieces..
- Mash peas to thicken more, if desired..
- About an hour before you are ready to serve brown sausage and add to soup. if you are going to add this option..
- Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well..
When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into cubes and return to soup or save meat for another use. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. I have been craving my Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. On the bright side, since this is a slow cooker recipe.