Jenny's Delicious Ham and Pinto Bean Soup. Great recipe for Jenny's Delicious Ham and Pinto Bean Soup. I like to add a handful of fresh Spinach to my bowl of soup. Croutons can always add a nice touch, as well.
Soak in cold water overnight; drain. When beans are tender; remove meat to. Meanwhile place pinto beans in a large pan and cover with water. You can cook Jenny's Delicious Ham and Pinto Bean Soup using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Jenny's Delicious Ham and Pinto Bean Soup
- You need 1 1/2 lb of Pinto Beans (dry) (Soaked and rinsed).
- You need 1 of Large Onion (Washed and sliced thick).
- It’s 1 lb of Cubed Ham.
- It’s 4 tbsp of Salted Butter.
- You need 6-10 of Chicken Bouillon Cubes (Skip or use less if using Broth).
- Prepare 2 clove of Garlic (minced).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Dried Ground Thyme (Or 2-3 tsp Fresh Thyme).
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Pepper.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Parsley.
- You need 1 of Bay Leaf.
- It’s 10-12 cup of Water And/Or Chicken Broth.
- You need of Fresh Baby Spinach for garnish (Optional).
Add beans and enough water to bring back up to starting volume of liquid. Instead of diced ham, cook the peas with a large meaty ham hock or two small ham hocks. Add it near the end of the cooking time. Give Bean Soup recipe a try and let me know what you think, and bon appétit. "Your Call" by Kevin MacLeod.
Jenny's Delicious Ham and Pinto Bean Soup step by step
- Melt Butter in a big soup pot, over Medium heat..
- Add Onion..
- Add spices, except for the Bay Leaf. Stir well..
- When the onions begin to soften, add the Ham. Stir well. Cook and stir for about 5 mins..
- Add the 12 cups of water and the Bouillon Cubes. (For a thicker soup, use 10 cups of water and 5 Bouillon Cubes).
- Add the Pinto Beans. Stir, and turn up heat to Medium High..
- Heat until boiling. Cover and turn heat down to Medium Low..
- Simmer for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours..
- Add Bay Leaf about a half an hour before cooking is finished..
- Serve and enjoy! :).
Music track used with permission Creative Commons: By Attribution and found at this link: DIRECTIONS. Sort dry beans removing broken beans and any foreign debris. Remove ham, shred off of bone, and return shredded meat to crockpot. Stir in ketchup and add salt to taste (The amount of salt needed depends on the cut of ham. In this video, you'll see how to make a hearty ham and white bean soup.