Easiest Way to Make Tasty Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese). Use Campbell's® Soups In Your Next Recipe. Our Wide Variety Of Flavors Make Tasty Dishes! Enjoy Our Restaurant Quality Dinner Recipes While Staying At Home.
Crock Pot: I love this crock pot! The lid is very secure and I can pack it up and take it on the go if I'm heading to a potluck. This slow cooker is a workhorse in my kitchen and has worked great for years! You can cook Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
- You need 16 of small red potatoes, or 8 medium russet, or whatever potatoes enough to equal that.
- You need 1 lb. of box Velveeta Cheese or store brand, whatever flavor you like.
- Prepare 1-2 of onions any kind, depending on how much you like onions. (Obviously use more than 2 if you like pearl onions, just get at least a lb.).
- You need 1 (16 oz.) of container of sour cream, or more depending on if you like it creamy.
- It’s 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted margarine or butter.
- You need 1 cup of instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand is my favorite).
- You need 8 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or make it with 8 cups water and 8 bouillon cubes) plus ~4 cups extra water (enough to cover).
- You need 1 lb. of fresh sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- You need 1 lb. of cooked cubed ham (approximately).
- You need 1 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.
- It’s of Salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- Prepare of Crackers and bacon bits (optional).
I use it to make everything from. Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, ham, and water/broth in stockpot and bring to boil. Then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt (if using), and pepper.
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) step by step
- Wash and cube potatoes (1 inch thickness and add them with seasoning, carrots and ham to a covered ~12 qt. pot to boil over medium to medium-high heat in the broth until tender. (I like to cheat here and microwave the potatoes before I cut them up to help them along). Make sure you add just enough extra water to cover ingredients (~4 more cups). Stir occasionally..
- Sauté over medium heat, onions and celery in margarine or butter just until tender and add the to the pot..
- After potatoes are really fork tender (may need to taste one), melt the cheese in the microwave or a sauce pan following package directions. (I cube it and microwave 1 min. stir, 1 min. stir and 1 min. more and stir in a splash of milk to loosen it up if necessary). Add to pot and stir..
- Add instant potatoes to pot and stir until dissolved..
- Add sour cream to pot and stir..
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup thicken by simmering over low heat, probably ~10 mins depending on the amount of extra water added..
- Sit back and relax, you’re done, enjoy with/without real bacon bits and/or crackers (I like Ritz)..
I plan to make this Ham and Potato Cheddar Soup. I have some delicious leftover ham from Christmas, so plan to use it. I do have a question about making it ahead of time.. I want to make some soup and salad for next week and take to my friend, who is in a retirement community -and she and I can eat lunch together. A quick and easy classic loaded with veggies, chicken broth, half and half, potatoes, leftover ham, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese!