Easiest Way to Prepare Perfect Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup. Lentil soup on its own can seem bland and boring. But, add in some delicious veggies and leftover ham chunks, and you've got yourself an irresistible soup that every member of your family will love! Whenever we cook up a ham for dinner, we use this amazing Riesling Peach Glazed Ham recipe.
A leftover meaty ham bone or ham hock flavors this tasty lentil soup. It makes an excellent lunch when the soup is with a sandwich or salad (or just For a heartier dinner soup, add some extra diced leftover ham along with the ham bone or ham hock. Cooked sliced smoked sausage or diced cooked. You can have Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup using 30 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
- It’s of Base.
- Prepare of Hunk of butter (or oil).
- Prepare 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 3 of carrots.
- It’s 1 tsp of flour.
- Prepare Splash of wine.
- You need 1 cup of stock (chicken/pork/veggie all work).
- It’s of Bouquet Garni (herb bundle).
- Prepare of Cheesecloth.
- Prepare of Butcher’s twine.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves, broken.
- You need 2 of allspice.
- It’s 2 of star anise.
- You need 4 of cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of fenugreek.
- You need 1 of dried chili pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare of The Soup.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry lentils (green or yellow).
- You need 1 of Tupperware of leftover roasted ham, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of garam masala (optional).
- Prepare of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Garnish.
- Prepare of Chopped fresh cilantro.
- It’s of Sour cream.
- Prepare of Croutons.
Like this Ham & Green Lentil Soup recipe? You'll find many more delicious soup ideas in our Soups Category and lots more leftover ideas in our Leftover Recipes Category. To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent. Lentil Soup is definitely a classic dish in our home.
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup instructions
- Cook your lentils. Wash dry lentils thoroughly (all sorts of weird stuff turns up in dry lentils, I found a piece of wood in mine). Add to a large pot of boiling water, boil for half an hour and drain, reserving water..
- Make your herb bundle. Double layer a square of cheesecloth. Lay all the things you don’t want to chew in the middle. Bundle it up, tying with butcher’s twine. Do not make my mistake and include veggie stalks – I thought it would be an easy way to impart more flavour, but forgot they would expand and stretch out the cheesecloth..
- Make your base. Melt some butter; sauté onions, carrots, etc. until soft. Add the herb bundle, push it around for a bit, then toss it in the soup pot. Add minced garlic, cooking briefly. Add flour and cook until nutty. Splash in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the good bits while letting the alcohol evaporate. Slowly incorporate stock..
- Amass the soup! Add your delicious veggie mixture to a crock pot or large soup pot. Add the cooked lentils. Add the reserved lentil water until everything looks a bit too runny. Add cumin and garam masala, if using, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for as long as you’ve got (1-3h) on low heat..
- Get some texture. Dig out the herb bundle and 2 cups of soup. Purée the rest with a hand blender. Return veggies. Fry ham (with basting sauce, if you still have it) and add..
- Garnish and serve!.
As a staple in Italian cuisine, and of the Cucina Povera, (poor man's food or peasant food) – lentils. This lentil soup with ham is a combination of two soup recipes I came across and adapted. I often serve it for Sunday dinner, making enough so there are leftovers for my husband's lunch thermos. A bricklayer, he regularly works outside during winter. —Andi Haug, Hendrum, Minnesota. I love Easter leftovers almost as much as the original meal- especially if we're talking about ham.