Easiest Way to Make Perfect Split Pea Ham Soup
Split Pea Ham Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. Freezing Split Pea and Ham Soup: Portion the soup into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers or fill an airtight container as much as possible (to avoid too much air being trapped) and freeze stacked on top of each other.
Made with dried "split" peas, and cooked up with flavorful, smoky ham hocks, split pea soup is warm, satisfying, and great for leftovers. Split pea soup can be kept refrigerated for about a week, or frozen for up to three months. To freeze, cool the soup completely, then transfer to freezer containers or bags. You can cook Split Pea Ham Soup using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Ham Soup
- You need of In Dutch Oven.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped onion.
- You need 1 cup of chopped celery.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped carrots.
- It’s 2 clove of chopped garlic.
- You need 2 cup of dried green split peas (rinsed and sorted through to insure no little rocks are going in your soup).
- You need 2 1/2 tsp of Vegeta (seasoned vegetable salt).
- It’s 8 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 of dried bayleaf.
- You need 1 lb of smoked kielbasa, cut into large chunks. so its easy to remove before blending soup. Slice up after cooking.
This split pea and ham soup slow cooker recipes seriously couldn't be any easier. You literally add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and then walk away while it cooks up one of the most fabulous, heart-warming, and rich split pea soups you've ever had the fortune to eat. Pea soup or split pea soup is soup made typically from dried peas, such as the split pea. It is, with variations, a part of the cuisine of many cultures.
Split Pea Ham Soup step by step
- Sautee butter, oil, celery, carrot, onion and garlic over medium heat, until onions are translucent..
- Add chicken broth, green split peas, bayleaf and vegeta.
- Add smoked kielbasa.
- Bring up to boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally (or until peas are somewhat falling apart and tender).
- NOW I like my soup a little chunky, but some like it completely blended. I just use my immersion (stick) blender and pulse it a few times, until I reach a desired consistency. You can use a blender too, if you would like. REMOVE BAYLEAF AND MEAT BEFORE BLENDING.
- Slice up kielbasa. Add back to soup. Enjoy!.
- You can substitute smoked ham hock, cubed ham steak, reg sausage…whatever you choose..
It is most often greyish-green or yellow in color depending on the regional variety of peas used; all are cultivars of Pisum sativum. Adding a ham bone to split pea soup elevates it to a whole new level. There is a ton of flavor in the bone itself, as well as marrow and gelatin, which infuses into the soup as it cooks (which both thickens it and gives it many of the same health benefits as bone broth). And there's also still likely a lot of. For a different spin on split pea soup, try this recipe.