Recipe: Tasty Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Heat oil in soup pot and add onion. Add broccoli and chicken broth and cook until tender. Add mashed potatoes & mix thoroughly.
In a large pot, melt butter on medium high heat. Broccoli Cheddar Soup Tips How do you keep broccoli cheddar soup from curdling? Curdling in a cream soup usually occurs when the milk or cream is added at too high of a heat. You can have Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- You need 2 ounces of butter.
- It’s 3 ounces of flour by weight- about 3/4 of a cup.
- It’s 14 ounces of broccoli (stalk and all) — rough chopped- thinner the cut the quicker it cooks.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic — finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 of each onion — small diced.
- You need 1 quart of chicken stock.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.
- It’s 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 1 cup of milk,.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese — shredded.
As you incorporate the milk and broth into the cooked onion and flour mixture, keep the heat at medium and stir continuously with a whisk. In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, broccoli, onion, carrots and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender. pro tips for making broccoli cheddar soup: Make sure to chop the broccoli into small florets, otherwise they won't be tender in time. Alternatively, you can par-cook the broccoli (and the carrots) in the microwave for a few minutes, which will help them soften in less time in the soup.
Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup step by step
- In a 4 quart sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, for 2 minutes cook stirring over a low to moderate heat this is a white roux.
- Incorporate the stock and milk to roux using a whisk for one minute..
- Add the seasoning, broccoli, onions and garlic and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Puree with hand blender, food processor or blender,start off slow so that you do not burn yourself.
- Return the soup to the stove and bring to a simmer and add cheese until melted turn off the burner and serve.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. If it seems thick add a little chicken stock or milk to thin out.
- My students think bacon and cheese go great with this as a garnish:).
If you like Panera's broccoli cheddar soup, this blows the pants off it. I kept the soup vegetarian by using low-sodium vegetable stock rather than chicken stock, and made it healthier by using fat-free half-and-half. Place on a baking sheet cut-side down and bake. Creamy comfort in a bowl with tender broccoli, Cheddar cheese, and SO MUCH FLAVOUR! Our Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe has taken quite a few years to get right: taste, flavour and consistency.