How to Prepare Delicious French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe!
Sweet caramelized onions are Broiling: French onion soup can be broiled in almost any bowl on low. Tyler's French onion soup is a hearty classic that's surprisingly low-cost. When you think of French onion soup what do you picture? You can have French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need 4 Tbsp of butter.
- It’s 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 7 cups of sliced onions (about 7 medium onions).
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 8 cups of beef broth (I use 8 cups water and 8 packets beef bovril).
- It’s 1 clove of garlic sliced.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of dry white wine.
- You need 1 stick of French bread sliced into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick pieces.
- It’s of Swiss gruyere or mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced or grated).
Melted cheese bubbling up over the edges of crispy toast? French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients: butter, onions, flour and stock/broth. Classic French Onion Soup is one of the most delicious soups in the world!
French Onion Soup step by step
- Melt butter in large sauce pan then add 2 Tbsp olive oil..
- Stir in onions, garlic and sugar..
- Cook uncovered over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown..
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly..
- Add beef stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for another 30 to 40 minutes..
- While the soup simmers, prepare the bread..
- Brush bread slices lightly with remaining olive oil on both sides and put on pan in 350 degree oven. Lightly toast each side (turn part way)..
- Ladle soup into individual oven proof bowls and top with 2 or 3 slices of French bread followed by the cheese..
- Put oven proof bowls on a baking pan and bake in 350 degree for 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted..
Top with cheesy garlic bread for an incredible flavour experience! Deep golden, caramelized onions create a stock filled with. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite. French Onion Soup is a deeply flavorful blend of onions caramelized in butter and slow simmered in a rich medley of beef broth and white wine, then finished with a splash of Cognac and topped with.