Recipe: Appetizing Easy Potato Leek Soup
Easy Potato Leek Soup. Potato leek soup, or potage parmentier, is a French classic. It's one of the first dishes I learned to make in culinary school, right after a proper omelet, because it's an essential base soup in French cuisine. Add watercress for potage au cresson, serve it chilled for Vichyssoise — or top it with bacon.
To make this soup, cook chopped leeks in a little butter, then add diced potatoes, stock, and herbs. Whip up this simple soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort – it has a beautiful silky texture. This easy potato soup is a favorite of mine and when fall arrives, this is one of my go-to dishes! You can cook Easy Potato Leek Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Easy Potato Leek Soup
- Prepare 2 of leeks, white and pale green parts only, washed and chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of onion, chopped.
- It’s 4 of chives, chopped.
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic, diced.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 6 large of potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- It’s 4 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 cup of half and half.
- It’s 1 of shredded cheddar cheese to taste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
I love that it's super creamy without adding any fatty. The easy, easier, and easiest ways to make a luxuriously creamy potato-leek soup. This potato leek soup is heavy on the leeks, with just enough potato to give the soup its signature creamy texture. This is a recipe you can assemble in the slow cooker and leave for the whole day, coming home to the sweet, earthy, caramel perfume of long-cooked leeks and potato.
Easy Potato Leek Soup instructions
- In a pot over medium heat, cooked the leeks, onion, chives, and garlic until tender. About 5 min. Add the potatoes and broth. Cook until potatoes are tender. (About 20-25 min).
- Add half and half, and continue to simmer until it starts to thicken slightly. (About 10 min).
- Divide the soup in half and place one half in a blender. Once smooth, add back into the pot. This will help release some of the starch from the potatoes to help thicken it as well. Although if you like a chunkier soup you can skip this step..
- Add the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Stir continuously until cheese is melted, about 5 min..
- Dish into bowl, top with some more cheese, and a sprig of parsley. Serve and enjoy :).
Buttery, creamy, and made oh-so fragrant with the help of thyme and chives, this potato leek soup is the perfect companion to any cold weather dinner. Cozy and comforting, Potato Leek Soup combines potatoes, leeks and broth for a simple homemade soup the whole family will love! This is the kind of soup that is so simple to make yet tastes like you really know your way around the kitchen. I grew up loving this classic soup as a kid. This delicious potato and leek soup comes together in just a few minutes.