Recipe: Yummy Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup
Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup. This terrific pie, made with leftover roast beef, couldn't be easier. Top the beef with a layer of sliced onions, beef gravy, and homemade mashed potatoes. Bake until the potatoes are golden brown and all the flavors have mingled.
Get the recipe => Roast Chicken Leftovers Stew with Dumplings How to adapt using leftovers: For a delicious Leftover Roast Beef Stew with Dumplings, simply use your roast beef leftovers instead of chicken, use beef stock instead of chicken stock and omit the apple. Otherwise follow the recipe exactly as written. So go ahead, make a big pork roast on Sunday, and use the leftovers to make these quick-and-easy weeknight meals. You can have Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup
- You need 3 cups of beef roast or steak that's been cut into 1/2" cubes.
- You need 1/2 of an onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2" cubes.
- You need 2 of small celery stems, chopped into 1/2" pieces.
- You need 1/2 of a small head of red cabbage, cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- It’s 8 cups of liquid (any combo of unsalted stock & water).
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of salt to start.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- It’s 2 cups of quartered button mushrooms.
Creative Ways To Use Leftover Roast Beef. Upgrade your leftovers so that the entire family gobbles it right up without realizing this was last night's pot roast! Check out these tasty recipes below, and try a few out the next time you have some leftover roast or steak sitting in your fridge. Chef Curtis Stone uses his leftover roast chicken in a hearty grain bowl.
Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup instructions
- Dump all ingredients except mushrooms into a large pot (at least 5 quarts), cover, turn the heat to medium high, and let soup come to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes..
- Reduce heat to medium low, add mushrooms, cover, and simmer for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until thickest pieces of cabbage are completely tender..
- Adjust seasoning if needed, and enjoy with crusty bread or rice, or just by itself! :).
Make meal planning easy by cooking a large pork roast and using the leftovers for these easy, delicious meals with leftover pork loin or pork shoulder roast. Leftover pork roast, onion, celery, cooked rice, soy sauce, and cream of mushroom soup are combined and baked until hot and bubbling. So all you have to do is make the sauce. To save time, look for pre-sliced mushrooms (they're normally the same price as regular mushrooms). Others may just see leftover pork, but we see a world of delicious possibilities.