How to Cook Perfect Easy Egg Drop Soup
Easy Egg Drop Soup. It's also one of the easiest soups I know. It's made with eggs, ginger, green onions, and mushrooms. Really easy, which is what I needed while I'm ill.
This fast and easy homemade egg drop soup comes together in just a few minutes and has a ginger infused broth that is extra comforting to an achy head and body. You may have noticed that classic egg drop soup has a slight thickness to it, and the broth isn't as thin as a traditional chicken broth. How to thicken egg drop soup? You can cook Easy Egg Drop Soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Easy Egg Drop Soup
- You need 4 cups of chicken broth or stock.
- You need 2-3 tbs of cornstarch (based on how thick you like it).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground turmeric.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 3 of eggs.
- You need 2 of green onions – sliced on a bias (optional).
- You need 1 tsp of Sesame oil (optional).
If you prefer a thicker texture try adding starch to the soup. Slowly stir the paste into the chicken stock BEFORE adding the eggs. There are many variations of egg drop soup, but this recipe is a classic restaurant-style egg drop soup that you can make at home. Egg drop soup (蛋花湯) is a Chinese soup made by adding well-beaten eggs into boiling chicken broth to create long wispy strands of egg.
Easy Egg Drop Soup step by step
- In a medium sauce pan wisk together chicken broth, cornstarch, ginger, and turmeric. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Stirring frequently. While broth is heating up, wisk eggs together in a separate bowl. Set aside..
- When broth simmers reduce heat to medium low. Slowly begin stirring in a circular motion. As you stir, slowly drizzle in beaten eggs to form into "ribbons". If using green onions, stir in two thirds of the slices immediately after eggs..
- Turn heat to low and let soup sit 2 minutes. Drizzle in sesame oil if using and stir to combine. Dish up and garnish with remaining green onions to serve..
- Note: For thinner egg ribbons continue stirring with the wisk when adding eggs. For thicker ribbons switch to a wooden spoon..
Fast, easy, and virtually no prep required, this egg drop soup recipe is guaranteed to be your new wintertime staple. You might recognize egg drop soup from the bowl you get with the lunch plates at Chinese-American restaurants, with swirling strands of eggs floating in a light, savory broth. I know it from my Chinese grandmother, who made this quick and easy soup even though she was also known for her other. Egg drop soup also is known as egg flower soup. You probably ordered it many times from a Chinese restaurant.