Recipe: Delicious Aunt Mary's Vegetable Soup
Aunt Mary's Vegetable Soup.
You can cook Aunt Mary's Vegetable Soup using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Aunt Mary's Vegetable Soup
- You need 2 lb of lean ground beef or ground turkey (I use 1lb of each).
- It’s 4 of medium carrots – cut to 1/4" slice.
- It’s 3 of ribs celery – cut to 1/4" slice.
- You need 1/2 of large onion – cut to 1/4" dice.
- Prepare 5 of medium potatoes – peeled and cut to 1/2" dice.
- Prepare 1 of unsalted beef broth – just enough to cover veggies to cook.
- You need 1 of large can vegetable juice (such as V8).
- You need 1 of large can whole tomatoes – undrained crushed (preferably by hand).
- It’s 2/3 cup of frozen peas.
- Prepare 1 can of low sodium green beans – undrained.
- You need 1 can of corn – drained.
- You need 1 of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders to taste.
- It’s 1 cube of beef bullion, or 1 tsp bullion granules (optional).
- You need 1 of small head of cabbage – cut to bite size pieces (optional).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of frozen lima beans (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar (optional).
Aunt Mary's Vegetable Soup instructions
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add beef/turkey. Crumble to large chunks and brown until no pink remains. Season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders to personal taste as it cooks. Drain in colander, do not rinse. Set aside..
- Return pot to heat. Add carrots, celery and onion to pot. Then add enough beef broth to cover veggies by about 1/2". Add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are just fork tender. About 10 – 15 minutes..
- Add potatoes and optional lima beans. Continue to simmer until potatoes are fork tender. About 10 minutes more..
- Add vegetable juice, tomatoes with juices (I crush each by hand as I add), frozen peas, green beans, corn and browned meat. Also add cabbage here if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. (Add optional sugar here to balance tomato acidity if desired). Simmer 20 minutes more to heat through and blend flavors..
- Serve with a side of crusty bread or cornbread and enjoy! I recommend my super easy honey butter cornbread. 😉 https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/357956-super-easy-honey-butter-cornbread.
- NOTE: This recipe freezes well to save for later! If you plan to freeze do NOT add cabbage. Cabbage does not freeze well. Lol..