Recipe: Delicious Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. Making Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker is so easy and perfect for busy weeknight meals. I love using smoked ham hocks in pea soup, it gives the soup a wonderful smoky flavor, but if you don't have ham hocks you can also use a leftover ham bone, ham steak or even smoked turkey leg instead. Split peas take a very long time to soften, so you don't have to worry about overcooking them.
Reviews for: Photos of Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup. Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup from Delish.com is so easy to make for an appetizer or filling soup dinner any time. Remove ham bone from slow cooker and shred any remaining meat. You can cook Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- It’s of Soup mix.
- It’s 16 oz of Dried green split peas..
- You need 2 of Ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham.
- You need 3 of Carrots, peeled and sliced..
- It’s 1/2 cup of Onion. Chopped.
- It’s 2 of Ribs of celery plus leaves. Chopped..
- Prepare 2 clove of Garlic. Minced..
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- You need 1/4 cup of Fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 tsp dried parsley flakes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Seasoned salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Black pepper.
- It’s 6 cup of Hot water.
- It’s of Optional but delicious.
- Prepare 1 cup of Andouille Sausage cut into 1/4" rounds.
To me, split pea soup tastes like home. However, when I tried to replicate our family recipe on my own, I always had trouble finding a ham bone. Slow-cooking the peas gives it the same velvety texture, and the bay leaf and vegetables keep the flavors traditional. Serving it with croutons adds an extra treat.
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup step by step
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients..
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone..
- Remove bones and bay leaf. Chop meat into bite sized pieces..
- Mash peas to thicken more, if desired..
- About an hour before you are ready to serve brown sausage and add to soup. if you are going to add this option..
- Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well..
Split pea soup is something Yummy Hubby has mentioned loving when he was growing up and a dinner I've been meaning to make for a long while now. Vegetarian split pea soup may be the least photogenic recipe I have ever posted, but it's so easy, nutritious, and budget-friendly I just had to. Soup Peas Christmas Braising Slow Cooking Slow Cookers Gluten Free Healthy Bay Leaf Ham Pork Celery Garlic Onions Dinner Leftovers Make Something magical happens when dried split peas break down into a thick, naturally creamy, and delicious soup over several hours in the slow cooker. This split pea soup is almost as easy as opening a can, and twice as yummy. The classic pairing of mild split peas and rich ham come together in a delicious slow-cooker version.