How to Cook Yummy Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup). Soto ayam, an Indonesian version of chicken soup, is a clear herbal broth brightened by fresh turmeric and herbs, with skinny rice noodles buried in the bowl. It is served with a boiled egg, fried shallots, celery leaves and herbs, and is hearty enough for a meal. Soto Ayam, an Indonesian chicken noodle soup.
But, when generously ladled over noodles, topped with chunky, juicy. Soto ayam is chicken noodle soup – Indonesian style. This is seriously tasty noodle soup. You can cook Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) using 27 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
- You need 2 lbs of chicken thigh (boneless).
- You need 2 L (8 cups) of water.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 5 of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 2 of lemon grass (the white part only), bruised.
- Prepare 1 inch of dried galangal.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks, chopped.
- You need 3 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- You need of Grind the following into spice paste :.
- It’s 7 of shallots.
- You need 5 of garlic cloves.
- You need 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 teaspoon of ginger powder.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cummin.
- It’s 5 of candlenut.
- It’s of Accompaniments and Garnishes :.
- Prepare Glass of noodle, soaked in hot boiling water until soft then drained.
- Prepare of Shredded cabbage.
- You need of Cooked rice.
- It’s of Homemade potato chips (optional).
- You need of Scallion stalk/chives, finely chopped.
- It’s of Shrimp crackers, process in a food processor until they get powdery (optional).
- You need of Fried shallots (optional).
- Prepare 6 of hard boiled eggs.
I've had soto ayam in the Netherlands. That's as close as you can get outside Indonesia I think. They are mad for Indonesian in the Netherlands. Video tutorial how to cook Indonesian favorite chicken soup, Soto Ayam.
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) instructions
- In a frying pan, heat 3 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the spice paste, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and galangal until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning..
- Turn the heat off. Transfer everything from the frying pan to a slow cooker. Add chicken, water, chopped celery, salt, sugar and white pepper. Set on low. Cook for 6 hours. Taste and adjust salt/pepper as needed..
- Take the chicken out and let them cool. Shred the meat..
- How to serve : Prepare bowls, add into each bowl some glass noodle, some shredded cabbage, some shredded chicken, 1 hard boil egg, garnish with some chopped scallion, fried shallots, potato chips and ground shrimp crackers. Pour in the soup. To make a more filling meal, it is common in Indonesia to serve Soto Ayam with a bowl of warm white rice. Sometimes I also add some fresh sliced tomatoes..
- I made sweet potato chips instead of potato chips. I sliced the sweet potatoes thinly using a 1 mm slicing blade in a food processor then soaked them in salt water for an hour then deep fried them. Do the same thing if you use potatoes..
Interested to become our sponsor in our next cooking tutorial video please contact us: [email protected] This version of the classic Indonesian chicken soup comes from the Hyatt Regency in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. In the magazine, they talk about having a no RSVP soup party which is low pressure & high commitment. Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup (Soto Ayam). Soto Ayam is the Indonesian version of chicken soup.