How to Make Yummy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. To put a Southwestern spin on a healthy slow-cooker chicken soup, we built a flavorful base by skillet-browning our aromatics in a small amount of oil. This gave us the full robust flavor and complexity we were seeking and could not achieve.
Learn how to make Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken and Potato Soup & see the Smartpoints value of this great recipe. Add the chicken and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. It tasted like plain ole white chicken chili that I make with a seasoning packet from the store. more. You can have Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- You need 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- It’s 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- You need 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- It’s 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- It’s 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- It’s 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- You need 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- Prepare 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- You need of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
This turbocharged, south-of-the-border chicken soup features a spicy, tomatoey broth overflowing with tender shredded chicken and fresh, bright garnishes. Photograph by Daniel J. van Ackere and Catrine Kelty. By the editors at America's Test Kitchen. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice Is a Must-Make Recipe.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup instructions
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
I love this southwestern spin from Slow Cooker Gourmet. MORE+ LESS Tips for Tricks for the Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken. Make it creamy: Add in some reduced fat cream cheese before serving. When I make this option, I drain off some of the liquid before so that the cream cheese is able to make a nice creamy sauce. Turn it into soup: Add chicken or vegetable.