Recipe: Perfect Hot and Sour Asian Soup
Hot and Sour Asian Soup. Hot and Sour Soup Ingredients: To make this hot and sour soup recipe, you will need: Broth: Either chicken or veggie stock (or broth) will do. Mushrooms: I highly recommend using shiitake mushrooms, but baby bella or even button mushrooms would also do. Rice vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, ground ginger: To flavor the broth.; Cornstarch: To thicken the broth.
White pepper gives the soup its signature heat, and the vinegar levels can be adjusted according to how sour you like your hot and sour soup. Keep the soup simmering (it should be bubbling before you add the egg, or the soup will turn cloudy when the egg is added), and begin stirring in a circular motion with your ladle once again. Chinese hot and sour soup 酸辣湯 is a traditional northern Chinese favorite packed with the acidity of Zhenjiang vinegar, the spiciness of the white pepper and the nuttiness of sesame oil. You can have Hot and Sour Asian Soup using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hot and Sour Asian Soup
- It’s 1 of 14 ounce container of extra firm tofu cut into pieces.
- It’s 1 of Half cup of sliced shitake mushrooms.
- You need 1 of Half cup of sliced oyster mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 of 8 ounce can of bamboo shoots.
- Prepare 2 cup of of bean sprouts.
- You need 1 of Quarter cup of corn starch.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of of cold water.
- It’s 1 of container of Swanson brand hot and sour Asian infused chicken broth.
- You need 1 of Half of cup of chopped green onions.
- It’s 2 of eggs slightly beaten.
The flavor becomes even more complex with the inclusion of bamboo shoot, dry mushrooms, wood ear fungus and finishes with a beaten egg pour high above the soup to form multiple small egg ribbons floating. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir until smooth. You Asked for It – Hot and Sour Soup! Chinese restaurant-style hot and sour soup made easy!
Hot and Sour Asian Soup step by step
- First you want to mix the cornstarch and the cold water stirring until smooth set aside..
- Next combine the chicken broth bamboo shoots mushrooms and bean sprouts in a large stock pot. Add in the cornstarch mixture..
- Once the soup mixture has come to a slight boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add the tofu. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes..
- Next take your beaten egg an drop into the soup. Remove from heat let set 5 to 10 minutes and add your chopped green onions..
The hearty, spicy, sour broth is loaded with mushrooms, silky eggs, and tofu. I've included lots of notes so you can tweak the recipe with the ingredients you have on hand, plus how to make this dish vegetarian. In a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, sliced ginger, garlic, soy sauce and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer while you assemble the other ingredients. Hot and sour soup 酸辣湯 is a traditional northern Chinese favorite packed with the acidity of Zhenjiang vinegar, the spiciness of the white pepper and the nuttiness of sesame oil. A Chinese restaurant favourite, it's hearty, savoury, sour – and as spicy as you want it to be.