Recipe: Delicious Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and Sour Soup. Hot and sour soup is a variety of soups from several Asian culinary traditions. In all cases, the soup contains ingredients to make it both spicy and sour. Soup preparation may use chicken or pork broth, or may be meat-free.
Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US. It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and gloopy. There was a time when I never thought to make it myself and resigned myself to the luck of the draw when it came to ordering it. You can cook Hot and Sour Soup using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hot and Sour Soup
- Prepare of Soup.
- It’s 4 cup of chicken broth.
- You need 1 packages of dried shitaki mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of red wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of rice vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of corn starch.
- It’s 1/2 packages of hard/medium-hard tofu.
- You need 1 can of mushrooms.
- Prepare 1/2 can of diced water chestnuts.
- You need 1 can of sliced bamboo shoots.
- It’s 1/4 can of bean sprouts.
- It’s 1 large of egg.
- You need 1/3 tsp of white pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 3 dash of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
The traditional hot and sour soup recipe call for Chinese dry shiitake mushroom. Soak the mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated and become very soft and easy to cut. The time required varies from an hour to two or three hours, as it depends on the thickness of the mushrooms. Hot and sour soup (Suan La Tang) is a common dish popular in China especially in cold winter.
Hot and Sour Soup step by step
- soak dried shitaki mushrooms in hot water until soft..
- pour chicken broth in sauce pan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat..
- mix both vinegars and soy sauce and pour into boiling chicken broth..
- squeeze about 1/4 of water from the shitaki mushrooms into a small bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. Then add to the saucepan..
- slice shitaki mushrooms and cut tofu into cubes and add the saucepan..
- add in the can mushrooms, water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, and bean sprouts to the sauce pan and bring soup back to a boil..
- take sauce pan off the heat and add the egg in while stirring..
- set the sauce pan on very low heat and add in the white pepper, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and salt. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, serve and enjoy..
It is firstly invented for poor people who need to warm their body up. So lots of white pepper used. It has different versions in China. In Sichuan area, hot and sour soup is called as Suan La Tang which is. Hot and sour soup is such a popular dish takeout dish, along with egg drop soup and wonton soup.