Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella). Stracciatella, an Italian version of egg drop soup, is made for days like these. "Stracciatella" means "little shred" in Italian, which well describes the "shreds" of egg in this light, nourishing soup. At its essence, the soup is hot chicken broth into which a paste of beaten egg and Parmesan cheese. Stracciatella alla romana is the egg drop soup of Italian cooking.
It's incredibly simple to make and is perfect on chilly days. Leave it to the Italians to have beautiful words for even the most unglamorous of concepts. "Stracciatella" (strah-chi-ah-tay-lah) literally means "rags" in Italian. This Italian Egg Drop Soup is a variation of the traditional recipe Stracciatella Alla Romana. You can have Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella)
- You need 3 cups of good chicken stock.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Italian style bread crumbs.
- You need 1/2 cup of grated pecorino Romano cheese.
Sauteed shallots and tomatoes add a splash of color and texture. Serve this comforting soup with your favorite flatbread, focaccia, or a slice of yeast-free honey wheat bread. Learn how to make Stracciatella Soup! I hope you enjoy this easy, Italian Egg Drop Soup recipe!
Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) instructions
- Bring chicken stock to a boil on your stove top. ( I make my own chicken stock according to my nonis recipe but, you can use any flavor or store bought stock, broth, or bullion.).
- While your waiting for your stock to boil, crack and scramble your eggs with a tbsp of water, then add your bread crumbs and cheese to your eggs and mix well..
- When your stock is at a boil, start pouring the egg mixture slowly, at a steady stream into the stock while stirring it w a fork to make sure you break up the egg while its hitting the stock. The egg cooks immediately..
- Let the soup boil a minute after all the egg is stirred in then, turn off the heat and your soup is ready. I like to add green onion, and a dash of hot sauce to mine along w some extra cheese. Please add whatever you like to yours. This soup taste awesome w some crunchy Italian bread broken into it or on the side with butter..
Italian egg drop soup is a true comfort food. Stracciatella alla romana is often whipped up when someone is feeling a bit under the weather. Stracciatella actually translates to little shreds. It gets the name because of the way the egg looks when you stir it into the soup. Many Italians remember eating hot stracciatella growing up.