Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup. Serve this fragrant soup with a swirl of coconut milk and fresh coriander (cilantro) for a fantastic spiced vegan pumpkin soup. Today I'm revisiting (and I'm starting with a favourite, my Thai Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk Recipe. It was one of the earliest recipes I shared and is one I still make regularly.
Cut the leaves into threadlike shreds. Ladle the soup into bowls, add the remaining coconut cream, forming a swirl on top of each bowl, and garnish with the lime leaf or zest. Pumpkin soup is high atop my list of winter favorites, and this year I've decided to add a Thai twist to the classic with this healthy recipe for coconut I've traded nutmeg for curry powder and heavy cream for coconut milk. You can cook Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup
- You need 350 grm of yellow pumpkin (peeled ) cubed.
- You need 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 5oo ml of chicken stock.
- It’s 800 ml of coconut cream ( canned).
- Prepare 1 cup of basil leaves.
- Prepare to taste of pepper and salt.
- You need of Ingredients for shrimp paste.
- It’s 125 grm of prawns (shelled and deveined ).
- It’s 10 of shallots ,peeled.
- You need 1 tbsp of shrimp paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of red chilli ,minced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ginger ,grated.
- You need 1 tsp of dark brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of lemon grass stalk, finely chopped.
The result is one seriously flavor-packed comfort food with subtle hints of Thai flavors. This Thai pumpkin soup is creamy and full of flavour, zest and spice. It's filling enough for a meal or can be paired with shredded or diced chicken or grilled prawns for extra protein. This Thai pumpkin soup recipe is simple to make and tastes as delicious as the pumpkin soup from your favorite Thai restaurant!
Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup instructions
- Using a mortar and pestle pound together all the ingredients listed under shrimp paste to form a well mixed paste..
- Toss the pumpkin cubes in lemon juice and keep aside..
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the shrimp paste, coconut cream and 250 ml chicken stock.Whisk well so no lumps remain..
- On medium heat, stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and stir to ensure there are no lumps..
- Add pumpkin and cook on low heat until pumpkin is tender but not mushy..
- Add the remaining 250 ml chicken stock, salt,pepper and basil leaves. Stir through and cook for a further 10 minutes..
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
When pumpkin and yam are soft enough to eat, reduce heat to low. Add coconut cream, season with salt, pepper and fish sauce, and heat through without allowing soup to boil. Taste and adjust seasoning, then add lime juice and finely shredded kaffir lime leaves (keep some aside for garnish). Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with lime leaves, coriander (if using). Now, since I kept the ingredients pretty simple in the recipe, the coconut cream is definitely the star of the show.