Recipe: Perfect Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup)
Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup). Sinigang na Hipon is a type of Filipino sour soup, wherein shrimp is used as the main ingredient. This dish also includes a variety of vegetables such as daikon radish, snake How to Cook Sinigang na Hipon. This dish is quick and easy to cook.
Sinigang is one of the most popular and favorite Filipino dishes among locals. It is right there with Adobo although. This Filipino seafood recipe is a good alternative to meat dishes specially during the Lenten season. You can cook Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup)
- Prepare 1 lb of shrimp with heads (cleaned, deveined and trimmed).
- Prepare 1 of large onion quartered.
- It’s 2 of medium sized tomatoes quartered.
- It’s 1 of ginger sliced.
- Prepare 100 g of water spinach (cut in 3 inches length).
- Prepare 50 g of green okra (cut in half diagonally).
- Prepare 50 g of string beans (cut in 2-3 inches length).
- Prepare 1-2 pieces of green long chili/pepper.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of fish sauce.
- Prepare 1 pack of sinigang mix or tamarind soup base mix.
- You need 6-8 cups of water.
- You need of Optional: Radish sliced (labanos), eggplant quartered.
It used to be that households use real raw tamarind fruit, where the juice is extracted by setting up the fruit in hot water to soften, mashed and strained leaving a sour tamarind flavor juice. This rich and hearty Filipino stew is famous for its assertive sour and savory flavor profile. This rich and tart stew is one of the classics of the Filipino kitchen. Many variations exist, but this one features tender chunks of pork in a broth made sour with tamarind and calamansi (a type of citrus) juice.
Sinigang na Hipon (Filipino Shrimp Tamarind/Sour Soup) instructions
- Pour water in a deep pot and bring to a boil..
- Throw in onions, tomatoes, and ginger with the sinigang mix/tamarind soup base powder and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add shrimp and optional eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes..
- Add string beans, green okra, green long pepper, fish sauce, and optional radish and cook for 3 more minutes..
- Add water spinach right before turning off the heat. Let it stand with the pot cover on for about 3 minutes to cook. Serve hot with white rice and enjoy!.
Sinigang Na Hiponis a classic Filipino sour soup that features shrimp and vegetables in a base of tamarind broth. It's low carb, gluten-free, and simply delicious! Sinigang Na Hipon, or shrimp sinigang, is a classic Filipino soup. If you've never tried it before, it's incredibly tasty! This week's video is about another delicious Filipino soup that a few people requested.