Recipe: Perfect 肉骨茶 Herbal Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh)
肉骨茶 Herbal Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh). This immensely popular herbal version of Bak Kut Teh is commonly found in Klang. Just looking at the colour of the soup, you can already tell the difference between this and the clear, peppery, garlicky version we made previously. This time round, we used prime ribs which is cooked to fall- off-the-bone.
However, if you fancy dry Bak Kut Teh, check our earlier posts: Video and Full Recipe! Bak kut teh is a pork rib dish cooked in broth popularly served in Malaysia and Singapore where there is a predominant Hoklo and Teochew community. Bak Kut Teh in the Hokkien or Fujianese dialect literally translates to Pork Rib Tea. You can cook 肉骨茶 Herbal Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of 肉骨茶 Herbal Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh)
- Prepare of 肉骨 Pork Ribs (300g).
- You need of 金针菇 Enokitake mushroom (100g).
- It’s of 豆卜 Dried beancurd puff (6pcs).
- Prepare of 生菜 Lettuce (100g).
- Prepare of 蒜头 Garlic (3 cloves).
- It’s of 肉桂 Cinnamon stick (1).
- Prepare of 八角 Star anise (2).
- You need of 酱清，酱油，胡椒粉，盐 Light soy sauce, Dark soy sauce, Pepper powder, Salt.
This rich herbal soup contains dong gui (Angelica Sinensis), known for its warming properties. For this reason, it is popularly eaten as a supper or late night meal in Malaysia and Singapore. Bak Kut Tea (肉骨茶) or Pork Bone Tea is a Chinese-Malaysian soup dish. Infused with herbs such as Dong Quai, cinnamon, star anise, and made with pork ribs, dried Shitake mushrooms, tofu puffs and garlic, Bak Kut Teh soup fills the kitchen with evocative scents.
肉骨茶 Herbal Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh) instructions
- 用一茶匙盐，少许胡椒粉腌肉骨十分钟 Marinate pork ribs with 1 teaspoon of salt and some pepper powder.
- 汆烫肉骨，将肉骨放入压力锅 Blanch pork ribs with hot water, put into pressure cooker.
- 加入蒜头，肉桂，八角 Add garlic, cinnamon stick, star anise.
- 加入一茶匙酱清，一茶匙酱油，少许胡椒粉。煮20分钟 Add 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, some pepper powder. Cook for 20mins.
- 加入豆卜，金针菇。煮2分钟 Add dried beancurd puff, Enokitake mushroom. Cook for 2mins.
- 关电，加人生菜。Turn-off pressure cooker, add lettuce.
This recipe takes a couple hours of. The Teochew style Bak Kut Teh I had at Changi Airport in Singapore. Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶) is a spare rib Ingredients. There is a line of retail Chinese herbal stores called Eu Yan Sang. They have the most wonderful Bak Kut Teh.