How to Prepare Perfect Capitol Hill Bean Soup
Capitol Hill Bean Soup. Rinse potato; pierce with a fork, and wrap potato in a paper towel. Senate bean soup is served in the Senate restaurant every day. Idaho Senator Fred Dubois purportedly requested the soup originally, which explains why his version includes mashed potatoes.
Drain and cover them with water, add soup bone or chopped ham. Bring to a boil and let get almost tender. Add onion, celery, parsley and garlic, cook till done. You can cook Capitol Hill Bean Soup using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Capitol Hill Bean Soup
- You need 1 pound of dried white navy beans, sorted of debris and rinsed.
- You need 1 of (about 1-lb.) ham bone or uncured ham hock (I used the center bone with lots of meat from the ham dinner we had the day before).
- It’s 2 1/2 quarts of water (10 cups).
- Prepare 1 of large russet potato (about 8 oz.).
- It’s 3 cups of chopped celery (about 6 stalks).
- Prepare 3 cups of chopped yellow onion (about 3 medium onions).
- Prepare 1-3 of Garlic clove, minced.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Add the mashed potatoes and seasonings. Sort and wash beans; place in a dutch oven. Cover with water and soak overnight. Place beans in a large pot with water and ham hocks.
Capitol Hill Bean Soup instructions
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or large casserole; add water to cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans. Add ham bone and water. Cover and bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour..
- Rinse potato; pierce with a fork, and wrap potato in a paper towel. Microwave on HIGH until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes; peel and mash potato. Stir potato, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper into bean mixture; simmer over medium-low until beans are tender, about 1 hour..
- Remove ham bone from Dutch oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard bone and fat; dice meat, and stir into bean mixture. Top each serving with chopped parsley.
Braise the onion in butter until light brown. Add beans to soup, season with salt* and pepper, and then serve. This recipe is from the book Capitol Hill Cooks by Linda Bauer. Capitol Hill Bean Soup Recipe – Southern Living. Capitol Hill Bean Soup Recipe – Southern Living.