Recipe: Appetizing Spring Onion Soup
Spring Onion Soup. Working in batches, puree in a blender, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, blending until soup is smooth. Our Spring Onion Soup is a lighter version of winter's favorite cheese-crusted French onion soup. When serving hot soup, deep bowls help retain the warmth of the broth; before serving, heat bowls by running them under hot water.
The Potato and Spring Onion Soup Recipe is a simple soup that is easy to make and light on the stomach too. Spring onion soup or Scallion soup recipe – creamy, thick, smooth and flavorful soup recipe made from spring onions (aka scallions, green onions) and potato. Spring onion has other names like green onion or scallion. You can cook Spring Onion Soup using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spring Onion Soup
- You need 1/4 cup of butter.
- You need 1 TBS of olive oil.
- You need 1 of medium vidalia onion sliced thin (1 cup).
- You need 1 of Leek, sliced thin (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 1 bunch of green onions, sliced thin (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 2 cups of peas (fresh or frozen).
- You need 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 cups of water.
- You need 2 cup of small pasta (dry).
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of lemon, juiced (3 TBS).
- It’s 1 cup of torn Basil leaves.
- Prepare 8 slices of sourdough bread.
- Prepare 3 oz of Fontina cheese, shredded.
Note that spring onions are sometimes also called salad onions – red or white, these are the same as spring onions. The onions are dry roasted under the broiler for a bit of char and depth, and then blended with tender potatoes, stock, white wine, and a few handfuls of greens. The resulting soup is every bit as verdant as a spring morning. Spring onion soup recipe – this is again one of those easy soup recipes.
Spring Onion Soup instructions
- Preheat broiler. In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add Vidalia onion slices; stir until coated. Cover; cook 15 minutes until translucent and soft, stirring occasionally..
- Stir in leek and green onions. Cook, covered, 10 minutes more or until leeks are softened..
- Stir in peas. Add chicken broth, water, pasta, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and basil leaves..
- Top slices of sourdough bread with fontina cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top soup with bread slices. Serve with Lemon Sour Cream Topper..
When I make soups at home, we generally prefer pureed and slightly thick soups rather than thin clear soups. Here in this soup, apart from spring onions i have used one potato to thicken the soup. The soup is again made with minimal ingredients so as to bring out the best of spring onions. Add potatoes and stock and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in water, soup base, green onions and pepper.