Easiest Way to Cook Appetizing Minestrone Soup
Minestrone Soup. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. A huge success with the family and guests. Add more tomato paste for a thicker, more stewlike minestrone.
It was also a big hit with the rest of the family." – ludacarol. Best Italian Sausage Soup "Italian vegetable soups (minestrone) lend themselves well to preparing with, and making use of, whatever you have on hand. Tomatoes, carrots, onion, and celery are usually included, with other vegetables added at the cook's discretion. You can cook Minestrone Soup using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Minestrone Soup
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 of large rib celery, sliced.
- You need 1 of medium carrot, diced.
- Prepare 2 tsp of dried basil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1 can of whole plum tomatoes (32oz).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 4 cups of chicken broth.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
- You need 1 can of cannellini or great northern beans, rinsed and drained.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of orzo.
- You need 1 of medium zucchini, sliced.
- You need 1-2 cups of baby spinach.
- It’s to taste of Kosher salt and pepper.
Pancetta (optional) – since minestrone is a vegetable soup it's a perfect meal for lent. So pancetta, guanciale or lard cut in cubes is completely optional, but it gives an incredible rich, intense flavor to the veggies as if they were cooked in meat stock (which by the way is also an option). Wholesome, hearty & flexible "This hearty and nutritious minestrone soup is brilliant at embracing what you've got in your fridge. We make it every month and all the kids love it – it's one of the dishes where they always go in for seconds.
Minestrone Soup step by step
- Heat olive oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Saute several minutes until vegetables are softened..
- Add basil, oregano, and thyme. Saute for additional minute..
- Add tomatoes and use a spatula to break into pieces. Add bay leaf, chicken broth, kidney beans, and cannellini beans..
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes..
- Stir in dry pasta and zucchini, and cook for an additional 10 minutes until pasta is al dente. Add spinach and wilt for 1 minute..
- Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Serve immediately..
It's super-easy to tweak according to the vegetables you have in the house. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. My minestrone soup is loaded with good for you veggies, like spinach and zucchini. It's also protein packed with red kidney beans and great northern beans.