Recipe: Perfect Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup. Make the matzo balls: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, salt, and pepper until well combined. Add matzo meal and seltzer; mix to combine. A note about the matzo balls: this recipe contains baking powder.
A Healthy Twist on America's Favorite Soup. Let's face it, there's just something wonderfully soothing about seeing a steaming bowl of Matzo Ball Soup with its pillowy-plump dumplings swimming in a bath of golden broth. Tips for Making Delicious Vegan Matzo Ball Soup… Look for matzo meal in the international foods section of your supermarket. You can cook Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 cup of matzo meal.
- Prepare 1/4 c of seltzer or club soda.
- You need 1 tsp of sea salt.
- You need 3 of medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin.
- Prepare 1 (32 oz) of carton + 1 14 oz can of Swanson's vegetable stock.
- It’s 1 c of fresh parsley, chopped.
Make sure to press the mixture firmly when shaping your matzo balls, and whatever you do, don't stir the soup while they cook. This will help to ensure they don't fall apart. One of the foods I most long for from my childhood bopping around Jewish delicatessens in New York and Los Angeles is the humble bowl of matzo ball soup: a mountain of tender dumplings surrounded by rich stock and not much else. As a child I would nibble each tender spoonful, carefully whittling down my knaidel (as "matzo ball" is called in Yiddish).
Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup instructions
- Mix eggs well until pale in color. Add olive oil, mix well. Add matzo meal and mix lightly to incorporate. Add seltzer or club water and salt. Mix lightly until a firm dough forms..
- Refrigerate matzo ball dough for at least 30 minutes..
- Heat vegetable stock in a medium stock pot on med high. Add carrots and cook 10 minutes on a low boil..
- Form matzo ball mix in 2 inch balls with hands moistened with cold water. Drop in the stock and boil covered on med heat for 30 minutes. You should have 12 matzo balls. Check every 10 minutes and add water if stock evaporates. Add parsley 10 minutes before cooking is complete..
Remove cheesecloth from the soup and place it in a colander with a bowl underneath. Squeeze as much liquid as you can from the cheesecloth and pour it into the soup pot (the liquid will be hot, so use a wooden spoon or another utensil). A kosher-for-Passover vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup recipe with a savory broth made of carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, and herbs. This vegan matzo ball soup recipe is chock-full of vegetables, and the perfect prelude to the Passover Seder dinner. But more importantly, it's vehicle for delicious Vegan Matzo Balls.