Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup). Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato paste and water until well blended.
Ingredients for Classic Ukrainian Borsch: It's best to have all of the ingredients prepped and ready to go which makes this soup super easy and care free. Start by peeling, grating, chopping, slicing and dicing all of the vegetables for borscht. Ukrainian borscht—hot, meaty, and beet-red—is a classic hearty wintertime soup, loaded with tender chunks of beef and pork, plus an amazing array of vegetables, from beets to cabbage and celery root. You can have Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup) using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup)
- It’s 3 of medium beets peeled and grated.
- Prepare 6 Tbsp of olive oil divided.
- It’s 4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth + 6 cups water.
- It’s 5 of medium potatoes peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces.
- It’s 2 of carrots peeled and grated.
- It’s 2 of celery ribs trimmed and finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of medium onion finely chopped.
- It’s 4 Tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 1 can of white navy beans.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 2-3 Tbsp of white vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper freshly ground.
- You need 1 of large garlic clove pressed.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of dill.
It's a filling, deeply satisfying bowl of soup, with a sweet-sour finish. This recipe makes a lot, but don't worry: It freezes well, and you'll want it all. Ukrainian Borscht is a delicious and healthy vegetable soup that is known and prepared throughout Russian/Slavic cultures. This version includes beets, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and can easily be made vegetarian/vegan.
Ukrainian Borscht (Beet Soup) step by step
- Peel, grate and/or slice all vegetables, keeping sliced potatoes in cold water until ready to use..
- Heat a large soup pot (5 1/2 Qt or larger) over medium/high heat and add 4 Tbsp olive oil. Add grated beets and sauté 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beets are softened..
- Add 4 cups chicken broth and 6 cups water. Add sliced potatoes and grated carrots then cook for 10-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork..
- While potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil. Add chopped onion and celery. Saute stirring occasionally until softened and lightly golden (7-8 minutes). Add 4 Tbsp Ketchup and stir fry 30 seconds then transfer to the soup pot to continue cooking with the potatoes..
- When potatoes and carrots reach desired softness, add 1 can of beans, 2 bay leaves, 2-3 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 pressed garlic clove, and 3 Tbsp chopped dill. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes and add more salt and vinegar to taste..
- Serve with vushka or garlic bread (optional) Enjoy!.
A hearty soup made of beef or pork stock, beets, cabbage and potatoes. If not, here is an authentic recipe that my mother and grandmother used throughout my childhood. If you like this borscht recipe, try my other Russian dishes like Beef Stroganoff or Russian Meat Dumplings Pelmeni. A true classic soup every Ukrainian grew up on. If you don't know what borscht soup is, it is deep red coloured soup with cabbage, beets, potatoes and maybe beans and beef.