Recipe: Yummy Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta
Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta. Works great with a leftover ham bone after the holidays! See cooking tips below the recipe for more info. Full of spice and flavor, great topped with cheese and chips on the side.
It's the perfect cold weather meal. I love a meal you can toss in the slow cooker and let it go for hours, without having to fuss over the pot. We always freeze our leftover ham bones to use in soups like this one. You can cook Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta
- It’s 1 bag of dried hurst 15 bean soup mix with seasoning packet.
- Prepare of Optional 👇.
- It’s 1 tsp. of baking soda plus enough water to soak beans overnight.
- Prepare 2 cups of diced ham or 2 to 3 ham hocks.
- It’s 1 of small yellow onion diced.
- It’s 2 of carrots peeled and diced.
- Prepare 2 stalks of celery peeled and diced.
- You need 1 Tbsp. of garlic minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of butter.
- It’s 2 tsp. of dried basil.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 4 cups of water.
- It’s 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 (14.5 oz) of can Italian flavored diced tomatoes or use petite >.
- You need of tomatoes with 1 tsp. Italian seasonings mixed in.
- You need 1 tsp. of salt.
- It’s 3 cups of chopped kale.
- You need 1/2 of lemon juiced.
- Prepare 2 tsp. of hot sauce.
- It’s of (Optional)1 1/2 cups ditalina pasta.
- It’s of Shredded Parmesan cheese.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf, oregano and water. Add the meat to the slow cooker. While the meat is browning, you'll want to dice up your onion. Add the diced onion to the slow cooker.
Slow cooker 15 bean & ham soup with or without pasta step by step
- Place the beans in a colander and sort out any debris, rinse beans and either add to slow cooker or to a pot and cover with water and add 1 teaspoon baking soda and let it sit overnight it's optional but i prefer it..
- If you soaked the beans give them a quick rinse and add to slow cooker.
- Add in ham, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, butter, basil, thyme, pepper, bay leaf, broth and water.
- Cover slow cooker and don't open lid while cooking. Set on high for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours remove bay leaf and shred ham hocks if used and discard bone and add in tomatoes, hot sauce, kale, salt, lemon juice and pasta if adding. Stir up and cover and cook for 20 more minutes and then stir in flavor packet that was in with the beans. Serve and top with some Parmesan cheese if desired. It's also great with buttered cornbread on the side. Enjoy !.
Sort out any debris from the beans and discard. Rinse the beans and add them to the slow cooker. You can save the ham seasoning packet that is included in the package for another recipe, you won't need it in this recipe. Rinse and sort through the beans, check for any unwanted debris and discard. You're going to love this thick and creamy bean soup with smoked sausage or ham.