Recipe: Perfect Sig's Red Onion Soup
Sig's Red Onion Soup. Great recipe for Sig's Red Onion Soup. Just love onion soup, and I wanted to make something to compliment the sky yesterday, had some red onions that needed using up, so this came about. This isn't French, and it doesn't take hours.
We've mentioned before that Howie and I each test our recipes to make sure we're both happy with the. The soup turned black – really! The red onions lost their color. You can cook Sig's Red Onion Soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sig's Red Onion Soup
- Prepare 625 grams of red onions.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of rapeseed oil or a good vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of seasoning like aromat from knorr or other stock powder.
- Prepare 100 ml of shiraz ( red wine ) or red or black grape juice.
- Prepare 75 ml of undiluted apple cordial or juice.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of tomato puree or 3 tablespoon passata ( tomato juice , Italian style ).
- It’s 450 of ml or so vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 of good pinch cayenne pepper.
- It’s 1 pinch of marjoram.
- You need 1 of good pinch pimenton powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla sugar.
- You need 4 tbsp of creme fraiche.
- It’s 2 of slices of bread of choice for croutons.
- Prepare 1/4 of pointed Italian red pepper.
- Prepare 2 pinch of chopped chives.
When I looked up "red onions" on the web, it said they lose their color in cooking, and if cooked (rather than used in salads), they should be grilled or cooked "lightly." I am wondering whether there is a health issue or problem when the soup turns black, as it did. A variation of classic French Onion soup.. Their sweetness is then amplified by a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar. Soy sauce and mustard add some much needed depth and balance.
Sig's Red Onion Soup instructions
- Peel and finely slice your onions , sauté them for about ten minutes in two tablespoons of oil , stirring all the time..
- Remove two or three tablespoons of the onions set aside . Add the red wine and apple juice and let the onions simmer for about 5 minutes or so. Add the all purpose seasoning powder ( or a little salt if you don't have the powder).
- Then add the tomato puree or passata, season with pimento and cayenne pepper . Add the stock, simmer for a further 5 minutes . Cool slightly so that you can put it into a food processor or blender , puree until smooth.
- Add a little marjoram , the chives and the vanilla sugar ..Roast the set aside onions, thinly sliced pepper and the bread that is cut into small cubes in a pan,serve over a little creme fraiche..
Each bowl is topped with a piece of toasted bread with cheese on top. I would like to be able to claim this but I got it from a good friend, I added the sherry. Vidalia Onions cooked on the grill, sealed in foil! Just like French onion soup, without the bother! Great anytime, and very easy to make.