Recipe: Yummy Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup. Potato leek soup is simple to make, but first you have to deal with the leeks. They're notoriously sandy and dirty, and very good at hiding it, so be sure to wash them well. Start by cutting off and discarding.
To make this soup, cook chopped leeks in a little butter, then add diced potatoes, stock, and herbs. Whip up this simple soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort – it has a beautiful silky texture. Buttery, creamy, and made oh-so fragrant with the help of thyme and chives, this potato leek soup is the perfect companion to any cold. You can have Potato Leek Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potato Leek Soup
- It’s 3 large of leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop. (See How to Clean Leeks).
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 cup of water.
- You need 2 cup of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*.
- It’s 2 lb of potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces.
- You need 1 dash of Marjoram.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- Prepare 2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of chili powder.
- You need 1 of Salt & Pepper.
Leek and Potato Soup is a thick and creamy classic French Potato Soup that starts with garlic butter in which leeks are slowly sautéed to bring out the sweet flavour. Leek and Potato Soup, made with healthy vegetables and creamy potatoes, is rich and comforting without the need for heavy creams or butter. Perfect for lunch, dinner, or served as an easy holiday. Potato leek soup is spring's answer to winter's potato soup.
Potato Leek Soup instructions
- Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan..
- Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown the leeks..
- Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes..
- Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan..
- Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste..
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Potato leek soup is a classic soup that our family has made for generations. Leeks have a mild onion-like flavor, which is perfectly paired with the naturally sweet starches found in potatoes. And since leeks and/or potatoes invariably show up in my CSA box, making soup has become part of my weekly winter repertoire. Leek and potato soup is THE winter soup of the British Isles.