How to Make Tasty Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup. Split pea soup is always welcome soup in my home! Growing up I ate it often, usually from a can, but gladly today I enjoy preparing my meals from scratch. This hearty soup recipe is easy to put together, delicious and hearty enough to fill you up.
Last night I made this Thick and Hearty Split Pea Soup which is just awesome! But I have a questions about the recipe. Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. You can cook Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- It’s 1 cup of dried split peas.
- You need 1/2 cup of green lentils.
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow lentils.
- It’s 2/3 cup of barley.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 2 medium of onions.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic.
- You need 5 medium of carrots.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Reviews for: Photos of Vegan Split Pea Soup I. It's really a delicious, hearty soup. I didn't find it to be too thick, possibly because I soaked the peas first. Delicious and hearty, this Vegan Split Pea Soup cooks low and slow for a perfect lunch or dinner.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup step by step
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
This recipe is ideal for meal prep, easy to make, naturally gluten-free, healthy, budget-friendly and taste amazing. The base for this lovely, everyday soup starts with hearty vegetables for plenty of plant-based. This is a simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for pureed split pea and lentil soup, made with split peas, brown or green lentils, carrots, celery, and herbs. Dried split peas are cooked with ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks. This split pea soup recipe is adapted from one written by Julia Child years ago for a Parade Magazine For a great vegetarian/vegan alternative, Trader Joes does a Soy Chorizo sausage that I pop into the.