Harira – Red Lentil Soup. Beautifully spiced Moroccan lentil soup with red lentils and chickpeas. Super healthy, low-fat, high-protein, easily made vegan. This Moroccan Lentil Soup is hearty, healthy and delicious ~ tender red lentils and chickpeas flavored with warm, fragrant Moroccan spices.
There are many variations, and recipes are often passed down from generation to generation. Some versions, such as this one, feature broken pieces of vermicelli. This easy Moroccan Red Lentil Soup recipe is similar to classic harirra but with healthy swiss chard. You can have Harira – Red Lentil Soup using 21 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Harira – Red Lentil Soup
- It’s 1 large of onion (chopped).
- Prepare 1 large of carrot (chopped).
- Prepare 1/3 cup of parsley (finely chopped).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cilantro (finely chopped).
- Prepare 6 clove of garlic (minced).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ginger (finely minced).
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric.
- It’s 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin.
- It’s 1 tsp of cayenne.
- You need 2 tsp of pimentón dulce (or other smoked sweet paprika).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of pepper (or more to taste).
- You need 2 tsp of salt (or more to taste).
- Prepare 28 oz of diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 1/4 cup of red lentils (dry).
- It’s 8 cup of vegetable broth.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need of side (garnish).
- Prepare 4 of limes (cut into small wedges).
- It’s 1 bunch of of cilantro (finely chopped).
- It’s 6 of pita breads (or toasted sliced baguette).
In a effort to clean out my pantry, I decided to use up my remaining red lentils in a Moroccan harira-like concoction with lots of carrots and red chard mixed in. French Onion Soup (Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée). Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup Recipe. UPDATE – I have now made the soup and love it; I made it with red lentils which worked fine.
Harira – Red Lentil Soup step by step
- Heat olive oil in large pot or dutch oven. Sauté onion, carrot, parsley and cilantro until caramelized..
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the garlic, ginger and all of the spices. Sauté until fragrant; less than a minute..
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes, or until the lentils have cooked thoroughly and soup has thickened. Salt to taste..
- Serve with fresh lime wedges, chopped cilantro and toasted bread of your choice..
Return to pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice, oil and reserved herbs. This soup reheats beautifully, and also freezes well. It is packed with protein that comes from the. Lentil Soup might not typically strike you as the most exciting of dishes, but when you add in chickpeas and warm Moroccan-inspired ingredients, suddenly things get a lot more Harira- with its abundance of onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and harissa— is anything but short on flavor.