Recipe: Tasty Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup)
Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup). Great recipe for Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup). Usually I have it with chicken and rice. I came up with this vegetarian variation using orzo over Lent because NY had a particularly brutal and never ending winter which overlapped.
Both the soup and sauce are often served with poached chicken or fish, but today's recipe is Avgolemono soup in its simplest form – meatless and delicious. Avgolemono [the sauce] is used to flavor meat, fish, and vegetables, but there's also s oup avgolemono, either with chicken or a soup with meatballs scented with herbs and cooked in vegetable or meat broth, which is then thickened and flavored with avgolemono. Whisk together eggs and lemon juice in bowl. You can have Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup) using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup)
- Prepare 3 of carrots.
- It’s 2 of large potatos.
- Prepare 4 stick of celery.
- You need 1 of fennel.
- You need 2 of zucchini.
- You need 1 of leek.
- It’s 1 of orzo.
- You need 1 of large egg.
- You need 1 1/2 of juice of lemon.
- It’s 2 tbsp of fresh parsley.
- You need 1 of dill.
- You need of oregano.
- You need of salt and pepper.
- It’s 2 of bouillon cubes.
Serve sprinkled with parsley, mint, and oregano, and garnished with lemon wedges. Rich non-dairy avgolemono sauce draped over roasted veggies-to die for! Your soup should have a silky consistency. This vegetable barley avgolemono (Greek lemon chicken soup) is easy to make from scratch, filled with whole grains and fresh veggies, and so comforting.
Voula's Vegetable Avgolemono Soup (Greek Veggie Egg-Lemon Soup) instructions
- Clean, peel and chop all vegetables. Add to large pot of boiling water with bouillon cubes. I used chicken bouillon, but of course you can use actual broth or vegetable bouillon/broth..
- Bring vegetables to boil and then add orzo. Add salt, pepper, oregano, dill and parsley. Boil till orzo is ready.
- When orzo is ready, lower heat. Squeeze lemon juice and set aside. Separate egg yolk from the white. In a bowl whisk egg white till frothy. Add yolk in next and continue to beat. Then add in lemon juice and beat more..
- This is the important step! We don't want any curdling so be careful. After you whisk together the egg – lemon sauce, gradually add in about five tablespoons of the soup into bowl and continue to beat. Then pour in the egg lemon mixture and stir gently to distribute it into the soup. It will be frothy on top and as your stir it will take on a nice color and thicken. Make sure not to let the soup boil..
It's perfect for the freezer too! When we moved a year and a half ago, even though it was just one town over, many of our routines changed. Try them in freezer burritos, creamy dips, vegetarian stews, veggie burgers, and more. Quick, Easy, and Delicious Pasta Recipes Ideal for Weeknight Dinners. Avgolemono (Greek Egg and Lemon Soup) Avgolemono (Greek Egg and.