Recipe: Perfect Keto – Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
Keto – Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup. This keto matzo ball soup, courtesy of recipe developer Chelsea Cohen of SlimFast, proves that you don't have to give up all your favorite Passover foods just because you're on the keto diet. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the oil, water, salt, almond flour, and flax seed.
Yes, it's true, I've created a Paleo Matzo Ball Soup! Growing up, I loved chicken soup with matzo balls, and I still do. One of the foods I most long for from my childhood bopping around Jewish delicatessens in New York and Los Angeles is the humble bowl of matzo ball soup: a mountain of tender dumplings surrounded by rich stock and not much else. You can have Keto – Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Keto – Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
- Prepare 5 of large eggs.
- You need 3 1/2 c. of almond flour.
- Prepare 1/2 c. of ground flax seeds.
- It’s 1/4 c. of seltzer water.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of kosher salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of olive oil divided.
- You need 6 c. of better than bullion vegetable broth.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot peeled and chopped.
- It’s 1 of large celery stalk chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp. of flat leaf parsley roughly chopped.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of dill weed roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 of small onion diced.
As a child I would nibble each tender spoonful, carefully whittling down my knaidel (as "matzo ball" is called in Yiddish). Otherwise known as New York penicillin, this soup is good for colds, flu, and heartaches. Matzoh balls are made from matzoh meal, eggs, and oil or chicken fat, and added to a chicken and vegetable soup. Barbo's Spaghetti Squash Kugel (contains dairy) from CarbSmart.
Keto – Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup instructions
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl..
- Add the oil, water, salt, almond flour, and flax seed. Mix until even..
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for two hours..
- Boil water in a large pot..
- Take the mixture from the refrigerator and using wet hands, roll the mixture into small balls, no larger than a ping pong ball (they will expand during cooking)..
- Drop the balls into the boiling water one by one as you make them. Lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes..
- Drain the water and set aside..
- In large stock pot, add vegetable broth and remaining ingredients and let simmer on low heat for 2.5 hours.
- Add matzo balls to warm as the final step & serve.
Low carb gefilte fish from Elana's Pantry. Low carb matzo balls from ASweet Life. No-matzo ball soup from Charlie Foundation. Eggs in Salt Water from Genius Kitchen. Oven roasted rutabaga from the Healthy Foodie.