Easiest Way to Prepare Appetizing Chile Relleno Soup
Chile Relleno Soup. Set one of the chiles aside for the chile relleno topping. While the soup simmers make the chile relleno topping. Slice the remaining chile in half (should already have the seeds and skin removed).
This chile relleno soup is exactly that. A rich, creamy poblano soup topped with an open faced chile relleno and of course melty cheese. It tastes like a chile relleno. You can have Chile Relleno Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chile Relleno Soup
- It’s 5 of poblano peppers.
- You need 1 of small onion.
- You need 1 1/2 of lbs. chicken breast, or 3 breasts.
- You need 2 of gloves garlic.
- It’s 1 pkg. of cream cheese.
- It’s 1 tsp. of cumin.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping.
- Prepare 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of ground red pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp. of chili powder.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
The hubs […] This Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Rellenos Soup is very easy to prepare and is loaded full with sensational flavor. It makes for a great busy week night dinner yet is fancy enough for company! If you have never heard of chilie rellenos before, they are basically one of the most well known and loved Mexican dishes. This hearty Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chile Relleno Soup recipe is a keeper!
Chile Relleno Soup step by step
- Begin by placing peppers on a baking sheet and roasting under broiler in oven on high. Keep an eye on these so they don't burn. You want to rotate a couple of times to give all sides a nice char..
- Once charred, place peppers in a bowl and cover. Allow them to cool. Once cooled, remove skins (as much as possible) by rubbing it off peppers. Remove seeds and place strips of peppers on cutting board to dice up..
- Chop the peppers and onions and have ready for next step. Chop garlic if using fresh. I opted for a jar of preminced garlic. 1 tsp is equivalent to 1 clove..
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks and begin to cook in a little olive oil. Season chicken with cumin, red pepper, chili powder and salt and pepper..
- Once chicken is half cooked, throw in your garlic, onion and peppers. Continue to sauté until chicken is thoroughly cooked..
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in cream cheese (cut into cubes) and 2 cups cheddar cheese..
- Continue stirring softly until all cheeses have fully melted..
- This step is optional but believe me its worth it! Place soup into oven safe glass bowls. Top with cheese and place under broiler in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. Once again, do not take your eyes off it as they will burn quickly. Enjoy!.
If you aren't familiar with chile rellenos, they are roasted and cheese stuffed chiles, that are fried in an egg batter. I always order chile rellenos at Mexican restaurants, but always feel like I need a little more protein in my meal. Chile rellenos are a go-to for us when we're getting Mexican food, but can be a little bit involved when you're making them at home. Fret not though, we decided to take all the traditional elements of said classic, and turned them into a light, flavorful soup that is a great go-to when temperatures start to drop. It's a delicious Mexican dish that consists of a roasted poblano pepper stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter, and fried.