Easiest Way to Make Appetizing Split Pea Soup
Split Pea Soup. Split pea soup has been a favorite winter warm-up for thousands of years. C., Greek farmers cultivated this legume, while Athenian street vendors sold hot pea soup to passersby. When King Louis XIV of France was hungry for pea soup, his court at Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye served up its famous version, Potage Saint.
Add split peas, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and seared ham hock to the pot and bring to a boil. Split Pea Soup with Rosemary "This soup is simple and fantastic. I also added some diced ham and blended about a quarter of the soup to make it creamy." – TZim. You can cook Split Pea Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1 lb of dried split peas.
- Prepare 1 of meaty ham hock with bone.
- Prepare 2-4 strips of Bacon and bacon grease.
- Prepare 1 TBS of Chicken drippings or chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1 cup of sliced carrots.
- It’s 3 stalks of chopped celery.
- It’s 1 of medium sweet onion chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of cream.
- It’s 2 TBS of butter.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- It’s 8 cups of water.
Ham and Split Pea Soup Recipe. Watch Chef John make this wonderful Ham and Split Pea Soup. Tackee David's Split Pea with Ham Soup "I have tried lots of pea soups and this is the. Split pea soup can be kept refrigerated for about a week, or frozen for up to three months.
Split Pea Soup step by step
- Sort through peas, clean them of any debris..
- Put peas and ham in large pan cover with 8 cups of water..
- Add onion.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Simmering for about 1 1/2 hours. Stirring frequently..
- Remove ham bone cut ham from bone and dice putting both both and meat back into the pot..
- Fry bacon, add grease to pot put bacon aside to crumble into soup later..
- Add carrot and celery. Simmer another 30 minutes..
- Add butter, cream and bacon crumbles. Stirring well add salt and pepper to taste. About 1 to 1 1/2 tsp each. I use less salt and let it be salted to taste by each person. Simmer another half hour stirring frequently and serve..
To freeze, cool the soup completely, then transfer to freezer containers or bags. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or gently warm the frozen soup in a saucepan over low heat on the stove top. Stir in broth and water, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Find delicious split pea recipes including hearty split pea soup, creamy split pea soup, rosemary split pea soup and more split pea recipes. Pressure-Cooker English Pub Split Pea Soup This family favorite is the same recipe my grandmother used.