Easiest Way to Cook Delicious Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. Discover the Delicious Taste of Well Yes!® Butternut Squash Apple Bisque. In a medium saucepan, combine squash, onion, carrots, broth and salt. Puree soup in a blender or food processor with the butter.
Add the squash, onion, and garlic. In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, bouillon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. You can have Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- It’s 1 of small butternut squash (the smallest you can find is usually enough to make this recipe twice).
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of butter plus 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- It’s 2 cups of chopped leeks (light green and white parts only – remember to wash your leeks well!).
- Prepare 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped into a 1/2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 of medium carrot, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need 1 of stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme (or 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon dried).
- Prepare 2 cups of baked butternut squash.
- Prepare 4 cups of unsalted chicken or vegetable stock.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- It’s of up to 1 teaspoon sugar if needed to lightly sweeten (some squashes are sweeter than others).
- You need 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (you can use whole, lowfat, or nonfat milk – it'll be a little less rich and creamy, but still yummy).
Inspiration and Ideas Tips & Tricks Butternut Squash Soup. Cream cheese makes it extra rich, but feel free to cut the amount in half. Editor's tip: In addition to—or in place of—the whipping cream and crispy sage, you can garnish this simple butternut squash soup with a multitude of tasty toppings. We love to add pepitas, homemade croutons , cheese (Gruyere and Parmesan are two great choices), creme fraiche or chopped pecans to our bowl.
Simple Creamy Butternut Squash Soup step by step
- BAKING THE SQUASH: Preheat oven to 375F. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the pulp and seeds, place flesh side down on your sheet pan or baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes or so until a fork or knife pierces all the way through the thickest part of the squash like a hot knife through butter..
- NOW FOR THE SOUP: Put the butter and oil in a 4 or 5 quart pot and turn the heat to slightly higher than medium. When the butter is completely melted, add the aromatics (all the veg other than squash) and saute until the onions are translucent and the leeks and onions just begin to brown in parts (about 5 minutes)..
- Add the thyme, butternut squash, stock, salt, pepper, and sugar and stir gently a few times to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Turn the heat up to medium high and bring soup to a gentle boil for 2 to 3 minutes..
- Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, with the lid on askew, for 25 minutes (or until a fork pierces the carrot pieces VERY easily – the carrots need to be this tender in order to get a really smooth, silky consistency to the final product), stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat down if necessary. (If you can scrape stuff off the bottom of the pot, your heat's too high.).
- Stir in the cream, adjust seasoning if needed, and simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes..
- Blend the soup until it's a smooth, velvety consistency. If you have a stick blender, that's the easiest way to go, but if you're using a regular blender, blend 3 cups at a time, starting at a very low setting for the first 5 seconds to avoid splatter and then turn up to the puree setting for 20 seconds or so..
This Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is creamy and delicious, without being loaded up with heavy cream. It's easy to prepare, and the incredible flavor of the butternut squash really shines. I'd like to think this is the most elegant version of butternut squash soup out there. It may be a simple fall soup recipe but it's packed full of flavor. You'll need butternut squash, butter, chicken broth, carrots, onion and heavy cream.