Recipe: Tasty Smoked mussel and saffron soup
Smoked mussel and saffron soup. Place a spoon full of remoulade in the center of a shallow soup bowl. Next, add the saffron (and its soaking liquid), the milk and the crème fraîche. Bring the soup back up to a gentle simmer, switch to a balloon whisk and whisk until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
Saffron Mussel Soup Photographer Caroline Kopp, Writer Julia Rutland. Creamy Celery Root Soup with Smoked Trout Photo: Aran Goyoaga. This recipe mixes celery root, apple, and potato to create a bowl of creamy goodness. You can cook Smoked mussel and saffron soup using 17 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Smoked mussel and saffron soup
- Prepare 2 lbs of fresh mussels.
- Prepare 500 ml of fish stock.
- Prepare 500 ml of white wine.
- It’s 500 ml of clam nectar.
- You need 2 sprigs of lemon balm.
- Prepare 2 stalks of lemon grass.
- Prepare 2 tsp of saffron.
- It’s 2 cups of apple wood chips.
- Prepare 5 sprigs of thyme.
- You need 1 litre of heavy cream.
- Prepare 2 strips of bacon.
- Prepare 125 ml of mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 of carrot.
- Prepare 1 of shallot.
- It’s 1 stalk of celery.
- Prepare 1 of baby Yukon gold potato (aka golden nugget).
- It’s 2 of gherkin pickles.
Finish it off with the smoked salmon and some fresh parsley. Add the almond slivers and milk to the soup. Purée the soup with a hand-held blender or in the blender. Season the soup to taste with lemon juice, pepper, and salt.
Smoked mussel and saffron soup step by step
- Put white wine, lemon balm, thyme and lemon grass in a sauce pot and reduce by half.
- Place saffron in 1cup of steaming hot water cover and put aside..
- Smoke 10-15 mussels in a skillet. Do this by placing the wood chips in the skillet dry and bringing to a smoulder. Wrap the mussels in tin foil, poke some holes in it and place in the skillet with the wood chips. Cover and smoke for 5-10 mins..
- Once shells have opened, remove meat, place in a blender with the clam nectar and blitz!.
- Combine all liquids except saffron in a sauce pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to a simmer and liquid to 3/4 of original amount..
- Strain saffron tea through a fine sieve into the broth. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You should now have a vibrant yellow and Smokey broth..
- Fine dice the carrot, shallot, celery, potato and bacon. Sweat until soft and set aside to cool..
- Once all is cool, fine dice the gherkins and mix all together with mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste..
- You now have remoulade..
- In a covered sauce pan add saffron broth and enough mussels for 3 mussels per person to be served. *I use clams as well to add variety and texture..
- Place a spoon full of remoulade in the center of a shallow soup bowl..
- Once the mussels have opened in the broth, place them around the remoulade and add the broth..
- Garnish with a nice green herb of your choice and enjoy.
- Chili oil is an optional garnish that adds to the smokey flavour and brings an element of heat to the dish..
Serve with the pulled chicken, mango chutney, raisins, apple, and chopped coriander. Serve the soup with basmati rice. Serve the soup with toasted almond slivers. Mash half the potatoes in the pan to thicken the soup a little. Mussel Saffron Soup Mussels and Saffron Herb, Crème Fraiche, Chives.