Recipe: Delicious Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup(Harrira)
Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup(Harrira). A healthy plant-based side or addition to bowls and salads! Crusty bread such as Moroccan khobz is traditionally used to scoop up the lentils and sauce, but go ahead and eat with a spoon if you prefer. Some of the olive oil can be replaced with vegetable oil; this is the habit of some Moroccan cooks as a matter of frugality or because their olive oil is extra virgin and a little goes a long way in terms of flavor.
Moroccan Lentil Stew with beans, carrots, red lentils, garlic and warm Moroccan spices in less than an hour. Moroccan Lentil Stew One of my favorite old Cooking Light Magazine recipe was for a Moroccan chickpea stew that ended up being my first post on my other blog. Add the water, lentils, chick peas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin. You can cook Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup(Harrira) using 17 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup(Harrira)
- You need 3 of big Tomatoes.
- It’s 1/2 cup of red Lentil (Masoor dal).
- It’s 1/2 cup of boiled Chick peas.
- It’s 1/3 rd cup of boiled red Kidney beans.
- It’s 1 of medium sized Onion chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic paste.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dry Ginger powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Coriander powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Saffron colour.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of of a Lemon.
- You need 5-6 of Coriander stem chopped.
- Prepare 1 handful of Coriander leaves chopped.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of All purpose flour.
If you're not familiar with Moroccan cuisine, this recipe is a great place to start. Moroccan food often contains spices like ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika, coriander, saffron, fennel, and plenty of. This recipe is relatively quick to make for a bean stew, and provides an excellent exotic flavour without having to toast and grind your own spices. Even though the list of ingredients is long, this is quite simple to make.
Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup(Harrira) step by step
- Take 3 tomatoes and give 2 slits in one side the tomatoes and then blanched in boiling water for 3-4 minutes..
- Clean and soak lentils in water for about an hour..
- Remove the blanched tomatoes to a dish and then remove the skin of the tomatoes. Because of the slits it will be easy to peel the skin..
- Chop the blanched and peeled tomatoes..
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy bottomed saucepan and saute chopped onion for 2-3 minutes..
- When the onion changes colour to pink, add in 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste and saute for one more minute. Then add in the soaked and drained lentils..
- Stir for a couple of minutes in medium heat and then add in spices like black pepper powder, cumin-coriander powder, dry ginger powder and salt..
- Stir and fry for a minute, then add in 3 cups of hot water. Cover and cook in medium heat until lentils cook completely..
- Chop coriander stems and leaves thinly..
- When lentils cook completely, add in the chopped tomatoes and chopped coriander stems..
- Cover and cook again for 5 minutes and then add in boiled chick peas and boiled kidney beans..
- Also add in tomato paste and a pinch of saffron colour for a nice colour..
- Mix everything well, check the consistency and seasoning of the soup. Add hot water if you think the consistency should be thin..
- Take 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of hot water and mix well..
- Add in this mixture to the soup and stir well. This will help to make the soup a nice consistency..
- Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon..
- Cook for 2 more minutes, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat. Delicious and healthy Harrira soup is ready to serve..
- Transfer to individual serving bowls and serve hot..
Like most soups, this healthy Moroccan lentil soup recipe gets better with time, so make it a day ahead if you can–or try our easy slow cooker/crock pot recipe variation. Warm Moroccan spices ensure extra flavor. The warm, rich spices of cinnamon, coriander, cumin, paprika and tumeric mix together perfectly to create a flavorful soup. If you have ever found yourself shivering in the winter, craving a hot bowl of comfort, preferably vegan, then you probably should try the famous Moroccan Lentils. They are the best thing that ever happened to lentils.