Recipe: Yummy Sig's Mulligatawny Soup
Sig's Mulligatawny Soup. Mulligatawny literally means, from the Tamil words molegoo (pepper) and tunes (water). Originally a vegetarian Indian sauce, the British added meat and various other ingredients to create a soup. Rice and lentils combine with vegetables and spices to make this vegan version a warming and substant.
Nu har VVS´erne heldigvis været her og repareret skaden, varmen begynder at sprede sig i lejligheden og jeg kan allerede mærke at jeg er ved at blive et bedre menneske. Opskrift på indisk Mulligatawny-suppe mod vinterforkølelse. Ikke den hurtigste suppe at lave, men den smager fantastisk og varmer helt ud i ørene, når nordenvinden tuder om hjørnerne, og dagene er alt for korte. You can cook Sig's Mulligatawny Soup using 19 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sig's Mulligatawny Soup
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ghee (clarified butter).
- Prepare 1 of large onion about 225 gram.
- Prepare 5 of large cloves garlic crushed.
- You need 2 tsp of ginger grated.
- It’s 1 of large green chilli, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of each ground cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ground coriander.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 4 of cardamom pods, bruised.
- You need 5 of curry leaves.
- You need 1 of medium carrot,chopped.
- You need 1 of medium sour apple,chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large potato, chopped.
- It’s 1 can of about 200 grams red lentils(I use brown as I prefer the flavour) drained.
- Prepare 1 liter of vegetable or chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tamarind concentrate.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 cup of about 500 ml coconut milk.
- It’s 2 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander.
Red Lentils are the beans that I use in Mulligatawny soup, and an indian curry soup. The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and. Mulligatawny Soup with Chicken and Gala Apples. Do not be intimidated by unique name of this dish or by the length of the list of ingredients.
Sig's Mulligatawny Soup step by step
- Heat the ghee in a large pot, cook the onion garlic,ginger,chilli,all spices and curry leaves in ghee until the onion has browned a little and there is a fragrance..
- Add apple, carrot,potato, dhal(lentils) and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Discard cardamom pods and curry leaves.
- Blend or process the mixture. in batches until smooth,return to pan, add the tamarind,lemon juice coconut milk and garnish with fresh coriander leaves..
- Make sure the soup is heated through.
- I prefer smooth soups but you can puree it to more broth like texture..
- Make a day ahead if you like..
- You can make a chicken stock with 2 large chicken joints and add the chicken for meat eaters..
Mulligatawny is an Anglo-Indian invention, said to have been made, once upon a time, for the English Raj. Think of it as a comforting chicken soup that will warm you up on a crisp. Apples add a sweet note to this savory soup. Despite the disparate ingredients, this soup is a complex combination that pleases crowds. It's a wonderful use of leftovers, such as chicken or turkey, and no one will ever know.