How to Prepare Delicious Tomato Saaru /Tomato Chaaru /Tomato Rasam/ Spicy Tomato Soup
Tomato Saaru /Tomato Chaaru /Tomato Rasam/ Spicy Tomato Soup. Tomato Rasam is a tangy and tasty South Indian dish made with tomatoes, spices and herbs. This popular soupy dish is made in various ways in Regional Indian Cuisine and is known as tomato charu in Andhra Pradesh, tomato saaru in Karnataka and thakkali rasam in Tamil Nadu. Rasam, a vegetable stir fry with rice and ghee makes a comforting meal and is easy to prepare as well.
Though there are many varieties of rasam that are made at home. Tomato Rasam- Tangy hot and spicy thin tomato soup/rasam. Tomato Rasam is a delicious thin spicy tomato soup from Southern India. You can have Tomato Saaru /Tomato Chaaru /Tomato Rasam/ Spicy Tomato Soup using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tomato Saaru /Tomato Chaaru /Tomato Rasam/ Spicy Tomato Soup
- It’s 3 of Tomatoes Medium Size – cooked.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of toovar dal – cooked.
- Prepare 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Rasam Powder.
- You need 1 Teaspoon of Jaggery Powdered.
- It’s 1/4 Teaspoon of Tamarind Paste.
- It’s 2 Teaspoons of Cilantro coriander leaves /.
- It’s 5 – 6 of Curry Leaves Fresh.
- It’s 1/2 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder.
- It’s 1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper Crushed.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare of For Seasoning / Tadka.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Ghee.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Mustard Seeds.
- You need of Asafoetida / hing.
The version I am sharing is from Andhra Pradesh and is popular as Tomato Charu. I loved this version more as it have all the flavors- salty,spicy, tangy and little sweet. Rasam and Sambhar are the most popular Recipe. See great recipes for Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam) too!
Tomato Saaru /Tomato Chaaru /Tomato Rasam/ Spicy Tomato Soup step by step
- Pressure cook dal and tomatoes..
- Mash dal to fine paste. Remove peel from boiled tomatoes and mash it well..
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients – rasam powder, salt, jaggery, turmeric powder, hing, cilantro leaves, curry leaves. Add about 1 cup of water..
- Allow this mixture to boil well. Once it starts to boil, add the cooked dal and allow to boil..
- Once this boils, add the tomato paste and about 2 cups of water. Allow this to cook for 8-10 minutes till it comes to a good boil..
- For seasoning, melt ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add hing. Add the seasoning to the boiling Rasam..
- Serve hot with rice. Can be served as a soup..
Tomato saar also known as Tomato Saaru is prepared in the Udipi household of Mangalore. A simple recipe, quick and easy to prepare with very few ingredients that are easily available in every. Pappu charu is a simple basic lentil soup from andhra cuisine. It is similar to the sambar but made without sambar powder. Pappu charu is made with just the basic ingredients and most times a lot of veggies are not added to it.