Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork.
You can cook Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork
- You need 1 pound of pork, cut into 1/2" cubes (I like shoulder, but you can use whatever cut you like.).
- You need 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, diced.
- It’s 2 of large carrots, peeled and cut into roughly 1/2"pieces (I find the peel can sometimes impart a slightly bitter flavor.).
- Prepare 1 of large stem of celery, diced.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste + 1 teaspoon sugar OR 2 Tablespoons ketchup if you don't have tomato paste.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare 8 cups of liquid (any mixture of water and unsalted stock you like).
- It’s 2.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of apple cider or distilled white vinegar.
- You need 6 cups of chopped cabbage (roughly 1"pieces), about half a large head.
- Prepare 2 (15 oz.) of cans (OR one 28 oz. can) unsalted white beans, drained. (I used Northern. You can also use Navy or Cannellini.).
Simple Cabbage & Bean Soup with Pork step by step
- In a large pot or stockpot, bring the oil up to medium high heat and brown the pork..
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes until the onions just start to turn translucent..
- Add bay leaf, thyme, and tomato paste (or ketchup), and give everything few good stirs. (This will give the tomato a chance to caramelize a bit.).
- Add liquid, salt, vinegar, and cabbage, give everything another few good stirs, turn the heat down to medium, and cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes..
- Turn heat down to medium low, add beans, stir them in, and cook, covered, for another 20 to 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning before the last 5 minutes of this cooktime to give all flavors a chance to meld..
- Enjoy! :).