Recipe: Yummy Bengali Chanar Dal l Bengali Split Chickpea Soup
Bengali Chanar Dal l Bengali Split Chickpea Soup. Bengali Chana Dal is completely a vegetarian recipe and can be opted for breakfast, lunch and dinner. With a dash of coconut and just a few spices, this preparation is among the stars of every Bengali vegetarian kitchen. While most of the people, including my Mom, use chopped coconut pieces to.
This easy chana dal makes a fabulous weekday meal. Chana Dal are brown chickpeas that have been split and. Cholar dal is made with chana dal or bengal gram. You can cook Bengali Chanar Dal l Bengali Split Chickpea Soup using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Bengali Chanar Dal l Bengali Split Chickpea Soup
- Prepare 1 cup of split chickpea (chana dal).
- It’s 3/4 cup of grated coconut.
- It’s 3 of green chillies, slitted.
- Prepare 2 of dried red chillies.
- You need 2 of bay leaves (tej patta).
- Prepare 1 tsp of whole cumin (sabud jeera).
- You need 5-6 of cloves (laung).
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick (dalchini).
- You need 2 tbsp of raisin (kishmish).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of white oil.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 1and 1/2 tsp of salt.
In Bengali it's known as "chholar dal." This bean looks just like yellow split peas, but is quite different because it doesn't readily boil It's more closely related to garbanzo beans, or chickpeas. The differences are that chana dal is younger, smaller, split, sweeter, and. Learn how to make this vegan Bengali daal – Chholar Daal, or Chickpea Lentil Soup. Chhola (split chickpeas) Vegetable oil Coconut Bay leaf Dry red chili.
Bengali Chanar Dal l Bengali Split Chickpea Soup instructions
- Soak the chana dal overnight. Drain the water before cooking..
- Soak raisin in water for 1 hour. Drain the water and keep aside..
- In a pressure cooker, add chana dal, water, green chillies and salt. Cover the lid and cook for 2 whistles. Once the pressure cools down, open the lid and check if it’s properly cooked. Two whistles should be enough if you have soaked it overnight..
- Heat 1 table-spoon ghee in a pan and shallow fry the grated coconut..
- Remove the boiled chana dal along with the water in a heavy bottom pan, add raisin, turmeric powder and cover the lid. Let it get cooked in low flame for few minute..
- By the time, heat 1 table-spoon ghee and add bay leaves, whole cumin, cloves and cinnamon. Stir for few seconds till the spices start spreading aroma..
- Immediately remove it from the flame and pour the entire mixture and the fried grated coconut on the chana dal. Mix very well..
- Check the consistency of the soup. It should be on thicker side..
- Now, add sugar and stir well. Cover the lid and cook it for another 5 minute on low flame..
- Turn off the flame and your Bengali Chana Dal is ready to be served now..
Chana Dal, also known as split chickpeas, gives a nice chew to this dal recipe. It's a larger-sized legume, so it needs to be soaked overnight before cooking (unless you're using a pressure cooker). If you want to skip the soaking step, feel free to use yellow or red. Chana dal is used to make soups and dals in the Indian cuisine. A funny use of chana dal is to feed Chana Dal is coming from black chickpeas or kala chana that have been split in two and then polished to remove the skin.