Mulligatawny Soup. The name Mulligatawny means 'pepper water', and curry is the particular ingredient that gives this incredible soup such a delicious flavor.so I'm told. A richly flavoured soup, spiced with curry powder. Perfect for a cold day, serve with a dollop of tangy sour cream.
This Mulligatawny Soup is a traditional curry soup with origins in Indian cuisine and it's deeply satisfying, comforting and delicious. Mulligatawny Soup is a creamy, curry soup with Indian origins. This soul-warming soup has a smoky-sweet flavor with chicken, rice, golden raisins, carrots, and apples spiced with curry and thyme. You can have Mulligatawny Soup using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mulligatawny Soup
- Prepare 1 cup of split pigeon peas/toor dal.
- It’s 100 gm of butter/oil.
- You need 2 of carrots diced finely.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of beans finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of onions finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of peas.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes.
- You need 1/3 cup of chopped potatoes (optional).
- Prepare 1 of small red apple, de-skinned and chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chilli powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of garam masala powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of coriander powder.
- You need To taste of salt.
- Prepare 1 pinch of sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of approx 200ml coconut milk.
- You need As needed of chopped coriander and chilli flakes for garnish.
- It’s As needed of sour cream to serve on top.
This Mulligatawny soup is one of them. Where does Mulligatawny Soup come from? Of course, soup is not traditional to Indian cuisine and mulligatawny was developed from something else entirely. If you like mulligatawny soup, or even if you don't like it that much, or you've never tried it, you have to try this recipe.
Mulligatawny Soup step by step
- Wash the lentils very well and keep aside..
- Heat a large pot with butter or oil and when melted, add chopped garlic..
- Stir quickly and when they start turning golden, add the chopped onions..
- Let the onions start turning translucent. Now add the rest of the chopped vegetables, except tomatoes, and mix well..
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander and cumin powders..
- Once the vegetable start sweating, add the washed lentils..
- Season with salt, sugar and garam masala powders..
- Now add 2 cups of water, vegetable stock or broth..
- Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Keep stirring once every 5 or 6 minutes, until the lentils have turned soft and vegetables are cooked..
- The water will have been soaked up by the lentils; add some more water and the coconut milk. Stir and check salt/seasonings..
- Your mulligatawny soup will be ready in about 20 mins. The soup should not be runny, but on the thicker side. You can also make this in the pressure cooker, but dal should not become mushy..
- Serve hot with rice, or bread..
This is the best mulligatawny soup recipe out there. Mulligatawny marries both British and Indian ingredients to form a soup that is a bit spicy, a bit sweet, and very satisfying. There are many versions of this popular soup; some contain rice. A Mulligatawny soup is a must-have in your spicy recipe repertoire. This Indian chicken curry soup is a flavor experience and will warm up your body with comforting flavors.