Easiest Way to Make Appetizing Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup
Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup. Use an immersion blender to purée some of the dal, leaving some intact and getting some very smooth, or whisk vigorously to break up some of the soft dal. Toor dal, dry red chillies and Kashmiri chilli powder are all readily available in Indian grocery stores. Yellow Split pea, also known as the Field Pea, Soup Pea, dry pea or Matar Dal, belongs to the species Pisum sativum, together with the fresh garden peas, Sno-Pea and Sugar Snap Pea.
It is the tastiest of all the lentils and the most popular dal throughout India. This dish is a specialty of West India, where it is eaten almost every day. Indian Yellow Split Pea Soup (Dal Tadka) Made in one pot, this simple and tasty Indian Yellow Split Pea Soup (Dal Tadka) is incredibly easy, entirely vegan and gluten free. You can cook Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1.5 cups of toor dal or yellow pigeon peas.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You need of To season the dal.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida or hing.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of coriander powder.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste.
- It’s 1/2 of Serrano pepper, sliced thinly.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of small tomatoes, finely chopped, the riper the better.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ghee.
Exciting spices like garam masala and fenugreek come together and make this perfect for lunch, work, or dinner. The Indian toor dal (split pigeon peas) and chana dal (split yellow gram, desi chickpeas) are commonly also referred to as peas,. Moroccan Berber cuisine has "tamaraqt" or yellow split pea soup with olive oil and cumin added. Salt, garlic and onion can be added to taste.
Toor Dal or Yellow Split Pea Soup instructions
- Wash toor dal and soak for at least 4 hours.
- Put soaked toor dal, the 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, and salt into a pressure cooker. Cook for 30-40 minutes on medium heat..
- Whisk the dal till smooth, and keep it aside..
- In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add hing and cumin seeds..
- Add ginger, garlic, and sliced peppers..
- When ginger and garlic turn golden, add onions and cover the pan for 2-3 minutes or until onions soften..
- Add tomatoes, cover till they’ve become slightly mushy, then mix in the three powdered spices and a pinch of salt..
- Pour in the dal, and mix well. Simmer for 10-12 minutes..
- Turn off the heat, and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice or chapattis..
The type of lentil used in this dal has many names but it is most commonly known as toor dal. In English, these lentils are known as split pigeon peas (yellow). This type of lentil is really popular in Indian cooking, used in both north and south India – but primarily south. The Best Toor Dal Soup Recipes on Yummly One Pot Masoor-toor Dal (lentil Soup), Mango Dal – Easy Toor Dal Soup With Mango, Dal Fry – Spiced Indian Lentil Soup.