Recipe: Perfect Mulligatawny Pepper Water Soup
Mulligatawny Pepper Water Soup. Mulligatawny soup is the result of that 'sharing', not only do I love the spice in this soup but also the name. It is just wonderful, it hails from two Tamil words. One for pepper and the other for water, which is really very apt.
Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Mulligatawny [ˈmɐlɨɡəˈtɑːni] (listen (help · info)) is a soup which originated from South Indian cuisine. The name originates from the Tamil words miḷagāy (Tamil: மிளகாய் 'chilli') or miḷagu (மிளகு 'pepper'), and taṇṇi (தண்ணி, 'water'). You can cook Mulligatawny Pepper Water Soup using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mulligatawny Pepper Water Soup
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of medium carrot, chopped.
- You need 1 of celery rib, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices.
- You need 1 of medium green bell pepper, chopped.
- You need 1 of garlic clove, minced.
- Prepare 1 of serrano or other hot green chile, seeded and minced.
- You need 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of hot or mild curry powder.
- Prepare 5 cups of vegetable broth, homemade or store-bought, or water.
- You need 1 of ⁄2 cup red lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained.
- It’s of Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 of ⁄3 cup brown basmati rice.
- Prepare 1 (13.5 ounce) of can unsweetened coconut milk.
- You need 1 of Granny Smith apple, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- It’s 1 of ⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish.
It is related to the soup rasam Mulligatawny literally means, from the Tamil words molegoo (pepper) and tunes (water). Originally a vegetarian Indian sauce, the British added meat and various other ingredients to create a soup. Rice and lentils combine with vegetables and spices to make this vegan version a warming and substant. Mulligatawny literally means, from the Tamil words molegoo (pepper) and tunes (water).
Mulligatawny Pepper Water Soup step by step
- 1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and chile. Cover and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in the ginger and curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Add the broth and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes..
- 2. When the soup is done, season with the salt and black pepper to taste. Puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, and return to the pot. Add the rice and cook over medium heat until tender, about 30 minutes..
- 3. Add the coconut milk, apple, and lemon juice. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro..
- You can visit http://allveganrecipe.com/5-vegan-dessert-recipes-with-chocolate/ to see vegan recipes chocolate.
Originally a vegetarian Indian sauce, the British added meat and various other ingredients to create a soup. Rice and lentils combine with vegetables and spices to make this vegan version a warming and substantial soup. read Mulligatawny Soup: How Soup Met Rasam and Became a Favourite Anglo Indian Dish Mulligatawny is a Tamil word that translates to 'pepper-water' or 'pepper-broth'. There are many stories connected to its origin. So let us take you through the mysterious yet interesting history of Mulligatawny soup. Mullaga-Tawny signifies pepper water ,the more familiar name of Curry Soup.