South Indian Inspired Pea Soup with Tomato and Cauliflower. Great recipe for South Indian Inspired Pea Soup with Tomato and Cauliflower. I was going to make either Chana Masala or Pea Soup and went for a fusion instead. So, it has the slightly spicy tangy tomato flavor of a chana masala coupled with the potatoes and peas of a traditional pea soup.
Delicious Cauliflower tomato masala with a secret ingredient Earlier whenever I cook cauliflower, my hubby used to say that don't make cauliflower as it does not taste good so I will make it. His signature dish is this cauliflower and green pea curry, which he makes it really good. Then I got a recipe from an old Malayalam magazine Girhalakshmi. You can have South Indian Inspired Pea Soup with Tomato and Cauliflower using 17 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of South Indian Inspired Pea Soup with Tomato and Cauliflower
- It’s 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- It’s 2 of onions, minced.
- You need 3 tbsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 1 tsp of ceylon cinnamon.
- You need 1 tbsp of turmeric (haldi).
- It’s 3 of dried red Indian chilis.
- It’s 1 of handful curry leaves, chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tamarind paste.
- You need 3 medium of Indian green chilis.
- It’s 3 small of Indian green chiles.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coconut, dried or powder.
- It’s 1 lb of dried split peas.
- You need 5 of plum tomatoes, diced.
- You need 1 head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped into florets.
- It’s 10 cup of water.
- You need 1 bunch of fresh cilantro.
Now my Indian recipes could be roughly categorized as north Indian, south Indian, or something in-between. This dry chickpea curry loaded with vegetables — potato, cauliflower, carrot and red bell pepper — could be called one of those in-between Indian recipes. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the cumin seeds, garlic, and ginger paste.
South Indian Inspired Pea Soup with Tomato and Cauliflower instructions
- Heat the oil on low in an 8 qt pressure cooker.
- Add the onions and salt as the base.
- Add the next 8 ingredients to the mix.
- When the mixture cooks down a pit, add the tomatoes and peas.
- Cook the mixture for a minute or two to soften the tomato, and then add the cauliflower florets.
- Add the water.
- Seal and bring to pressure, holding at pressure for 10 minutes..
- Turn off heat and let settle 10 more minutes..
- Cool and depressurize the pressure cooker by running under cold water..
- Stir and mix in cilantro.
- Salt to taste and serve, keeping in mind that pea soup starts off thin and thickens substantially over time. If the mixture becomes too thick, ad water and salt as desired..
Gobi matar masala (cauliflower, peas, spices) is a a classic vegan North Indian recipe that fit the bill; the dotting of sweet peas adds is wonderfully complementary. When I came home and started looking through books and websites for recipes I realized that it's more often a dry curry, made with a few tomatoes but most of the liquid. Andhra Style Tomato Cauliflower Koora is a simple recipe made with a tomato and onion gravy that is spiced up with simple masala garam masala powder and red chilli powder. The dish can also be made into a curry based and can also be served in a dry form. The vegetables that we have used are locally available in the kitchen.