Recipe: Delicious Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam)
Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam). Tomato Rasam is a tangy and tasty South Indian dish made with tomatoes, spices and herbs. This popular soupy dish is made in various ways in Regional Indian Cuisine and is known as tomato charu in Andhra Pradesh, tomato saaru in Karnataka and thakkali rasam in Tamil Nadu. [Photograph: Max Falkowitz] Rasam is a thin tomato soup often served as a dip or broth in Indian cuisine. This is very much my own version, with a flavor inspired by what's often found in restaurants, but bulked up by additional spices like paprika to keep it from being too thin.
Tomato Rasam is a delicious thin spicy tomato soup from Southern India. The version I am sharing is from Andhra Pradesh and is popular as Tomato Charu. I loved this version more as it have all the flavors- salty,spicy, tangy and little sweet. You can cook Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam) using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam)
- Prepare 3 of Tomato.
- You need 1 piece of Tamarind.
- You need 1 tbsp of Gingely Oil.
- You need 3 clove of Garlic.
- Prepare 1 piece of Ginger.
- Prepare 2 of Small Shallots.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Black Pepper Powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Chilli Powder.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Coriander Powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Cumin Powder.
- You need 2 pinch of Asafoetida Powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of Chopped Coriander Leaves.
- You need of Hot Water.
- It’s of Salt.
Rasam and Sambhar are the most popular Recipe. Pour into a large saucepan and add the tamarind, fresh coriander, green chilli, turmeric, ground coriander and season. Tomato rasam recipe – Rasam is a daily affair at home for dinner on most weekdays. Rasam, a vegetable stir fry with rice and ghee makes a comforting meal and is easy to prepare as well.
Spicy Tomato Soup (Tomato Rasam) instructions
- Heat oil in a pan. Crush shallots, ginger & garlic. Add it to the oil. Saute..
- Add pepper powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder & cumin powder. Mix well..
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces (you can also grind it). Add it to the pan. Close the lid & cook the tomatoes..
- Add some salt & hot water. Taste the mix. If it's not sour enough, crush the tamarind in little water, filter & add it to the mixture. Else skip this step..
- Add asafoetida powder. Mix & boil..
- Add the chopped coriander leaves into it. Stir & boil for two minutes. Turn off the stove..
Tomato rasam is light on the stomach and aids in digestion and hydrates the tummy. Hence I prefer to make it quite often. Though there are many varieties of rasam that are made at home. This is an easy tomato recipe with the used of rasam powder. Made with a mixed of some herbal spices that gives a distinct aroma and flavor to a normal tomato soup.