How to Make Perfect Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup. Get Access To Daily Recipes, Tips, Product Recommendations & So Much More! Potato leek soup, or potage parmentier, is a French classic. It's one of the first dishes I learned to make in culinary school, right after a proper omelet, because it's an essential base soup in French cuisine.
You don't really need any more starch to round out the meal, but it is hard to resist dipping a slice of crusty bread in this soup. Serve the soup as the starter to a steak dinner (steak and potatoes, right?), or roasted chicken. Winter Leek and Potato Soup "So delicious! You can have Potato Leek Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potato Leek Soup
- You need of leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop. (See How to Clean Leeks).
- You need of butter.
- You need of water.
- You need of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*.
- You need of potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare of Marjoram.
- Prepare of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need of chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Prepare of Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce.
- You need of chili powder.
- Prepare of Salt & Pepper.
I followed the recipe, doubling the leeks and omitting the cheese. I will make this every time we get leeks in our CSA box." – Rebekah. Classic Vichyssoise "Easy, delicious and healthy! This soup is so yummy, you could omit the cream altogether." – daniella.
Potato Leek Soup instructions
- Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan..
- Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown the leeks..
- Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes..
- Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan..
- Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste..
German Leek and Potato Soup "Very good. Put the chicken stock, potatoes, leeks, celery, bay leaf and thyme in a large pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Chop the leeks into small pieces. Classic potato leek soup has all the comforts of cold weather-cooking wrapped into one — a good bit of butter, slightly caramelized leeks and onions, creamy Yukon gold potatoes, and a splash of heavy cream for good measure. Classic potato leek soup ~ simple and delicious with potatoes, leeks and chicken stock, inspired by Julia Child.