You can cook Mulligatawny Soup using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mulligatawny Soup
- You need 1 cup of split pigeon peas/toor dal.
- Prepare 100 gm of butter/oil.
- Prepare 2 of carrots diced finely.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of beans finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of onions finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of peas.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 1/3 cup of chopped potatoes (optional).
- It’s 1 of small red apple, de-skinned and chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of chilli powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of garam masala powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of coriander powder.
- You need To taste of salt.
- Prepare 1 pinch of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of approx 200ml coconut milk.
- Prepare As needed of chopped coriander and chilli flakes for garnish.
- You need As needed of sour cream to serve on top.
Mulligatawny Soup step by step
- Wash the lentils very well and keep aside..
- Heat a large pot with butter or oil and when melted, add chopped garlic..
- Stir quickly and when they start turning golden, add the chopped onions..
- Let the onions start turning translucent. Now add the rest of the chopped vegetables, except tomatoes, and mix well..
- Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander and cumin powders..
- Once the vegetable start sweating, add the washed lentils..
- Season with salt, sugar and garam masala powders..
- Now add 2 cups of water, vegetable stock or broth..
- Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Keep stirring once every 5 or 6 minutes, until the lentils have turned soft and vegetables are cooked..
- The water will have been soaked up by the lentils; add some more water and the coconut milk. Stir and check salt/seasonings..
- Your mulligatawny soup will be ready in about 20 mins. The soup should not be runny, but on the thicker side. You can also make this in the pressure cooker, but dal should not become mushy..
- Serve hot with rice, or bread..