Recipe: Appetizing Acorn Squash Soup & Toasted Seeds
Acorn Squash Soup & Toasted Seeds. Delicious and healthy (vegetarian) Roasted Acorn Squash Soup that is quite easy to make. Here is an easy acorn squash soup that highlights the sweet flavor of the squash. The curry powder gives it a unique taste. —Marilou Robinson, Portland, Oregon.
Maple syrup, nutmeg and ground cinnamon add holiday flavor to this classic autumn soup. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds for even more holiday zest. I haven't made this acorn squash soup since I first made it for the original blog post, and I forgot just how good it is! You can cook Acorn Squash Soup & Toasted Seeds using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Acorn Squash Soup & Toasted Seeds
- It’s 2 of acorn squash (skin on).
- You need 1 of yellow onion.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 2 tbsp of salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp of pepper.
- You need Dash of cayenne pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- You need 1 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 16 oz of chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegan).
- Prepare 16 oz of water.
- Prepare 1 pint of heavy whipping cream (leave out for vegan).
This Acorn squash soup is just one of many squash recipes I've been whipping up lately! Well I recently joined a new CSA and their squash collection has been on point. Once acorn squash are baked, divide soup between the squash and garnish with topping(s) of choice – I went for sautéed kale* and red onion, but baked chickpeas, pomegranate, or cornbread. Anyways, I've been making soup at least once a week and this Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup is my latest creation.
Acorn Squash Soup & Toasted Seeds instructions
- Chop onion into large chunks and smash garlic cloves and sauté for a few minutes until aromatic. Add salt, pepper and chunks of acorn squash and cook on medium heat for a few minutes..
- Add chicken stock and water and simmer for about 10 minutes..
- Blend mixture with immersion blender and add in thyme and honey. Add more seasoning if desired..
- Add whipping cream and serve hot!.
- For toasted acorn squash seeds, clean seeds and dry first. Mix olive oil, a dash or salt and pepper and evenly coat seeds. Bake on 325 for 20 minutes! Serve on top of soup or as a snack for another day..
This roasted acorn squash soup is incredibly easy to make, requiring a just a little sautéing, roasting, and blending. The soup is packed with warm winter squash flavor, is nothing but nutritious. The smooth texture of acorn squash gives this pureed soup its character; only a little half-and-half and butter are needed. This creamy acorn squash soup with carrots and leeks gets an extra boost of savory flavor from star anise. Break out that bread, and get ready for a perfect fall soup!